Did you know?
- Lewis is ranked among the Top 25 Midwest Regional Universities by U.S. News & World Report.
- is nationally recognized for its Flight Team, Peer Ministry Program, Mock Trial Team, Work Study Program, and the ROTC program.
- is a pioneer in aviation education and owns a Boeing 737 jet, donated by United Airlines, utilized for aviation clinical experiences.
- is the seventh largest private University in Illinois.
- has the second largest undergraduate program in Criminal/Social Justice in the state (among private institutions).
- is one of only 19 colleges in Illinois recognized as a College of Distinction.
- has a new Science Center that attracts both undergraduate and graduates degree students to STEM majors.
- is one of the few schools in the nation to offer a degree in unmanned aircraft systems.
Lewis University was founded in 1932 under the direction of the Chicago Archdiocese. Aviation technology became the special emphasis of instruction and the origin of today’s highly regarded Department of Aviation and Transportation Studies. During W
orld War II, hundreds of Navy flight instructors were trained at Lewis. In 1952, renamed Lewis College of Science and Technology, the school granted its first baccalaureate degrees. In 1960, the De La Salle Christian Brothers – members of a religious congregation devoted exclusively to teaching who have been “transforming lives since 1680” – assumed direction of the institution which became Lewis College in 1962. Accredited by North Central Association in 1963, it became Lewis University in 1973. The University is now coeducational and nationally recognized.
Lewis University students benefit from our proximity to Chicago with its many opportunities for employment, CPT / OPT, community service, cultural events, entertainment and more. The main campus is located 35 miles from Chicago in the safe and affordable suburb of Romeoville.
Lewis provides more than 100 student organizations, Club Sports, and Intramurals, educational and cultural events each semester. Acting in Philip Lynch Theatre productions, writing for The Flyer newspaper, singing in the Lewis University Gospel Choir and participating in University Ministry sponsored service projects such as Habitat for Humanity are just a few opportunities available to students, regardless of their majors.
- The Lewis University Airport, directly adjacent to campus, providing hands-on instructional experience for aviation students.
- The Scholars Academy and Science Connections Program, offering intellectually challenging opportunities to pursue learning beyond scheduled coursework.
- The Study Abroad Program, providing learning opportunities in Ireland, Mexico, England, Italy, China and elsewhere.
- State-of-the-art simulation equipment designed to enhance your learning through hands-on experience.
- Community service projects, including volunteer outreach locally and internationally.
- Pre-professional programs in the health professions, engineering & law
More than 100 Undergraduate & Graduate Programs
Since its beginnings as an aeronautical technical school in 1932, Lewis has been a pioneer in aviation education. In addition to aviation majors in flight, maintenance, and unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), strong professional programs offered today include nursing, computer science, criminal/social justice, education, STEM majors and the business professions.
6,500 Undergraduate & Graduate Students
A majority are from the Midwest with international students representing more than 30 different countries. Lewis welcomes students of all cultures and faith traditions and has a diversity rate of 34 percent for the undergraduate student body.
With nearly 40,000 alumni worldwide, Lewis University offers the opportunity to connect and network with our powerful alumni community.
- Full-Time Undergraduate Student / $31,100 per year
- Full-Time Graduate Student / $14,310 per year
- Annual Room and Board/$10,460 per year
Academic scholarships are available for Undergraduate students. The scholarship award is based on your Secondary School GPA and is automatically awarded your admission.
Lewis has approximately 210 full-time faculty members who take students’ personal and professional success to heart. Student/faculty ratio is 13:1.
This school offers programs in: