Summer Course in
Deep Dive into Blockchain: Linking Economics, Technology and Law
University Of Zurich
CHF 3,450 / per course *
Earliest start date
* The fees include tuition and accompanied field trips, accommodation, and the social program.
This summer school program will give you a complete immersion into the topic of blockchain from world-leading experts and practitioners in the field at Europe's No. 1 and the world's No. 3 university in Blockchain research (ranking by CoinDesk 2022). Blockchain-based systems, with cryptocurrencies as the most prominent example, have disrupted and reshaped the way we think about digital finance and similar applications, such as supply chains. Blockchain and related technologies allow to store sequential, trustful information without enforced consensus by central authorities or trustees.
This three-week course aims to provide you with a full understanding of Blockchain by introducing it from a multidsciplinary perspective to Blockchain. At the end of the course you will understand the three key pillars of blockchain systems, namely the technology, the economics and the legal aspects behind it. Building on this, we will then explore other fields of application, such as forensics and data analytics. The course offers a chance to experience classes taught by different professors and lecturers from UZH and leading universities worldwide, as well as top practitioners from various fields. The program has received excellent ratings for its highly interactive structure, hands-on practice sessions and for incorporating the most advanced and promising blockchain-based platforms.
Teaching and Learning Methods
- Podcasts - watch at least two podcast sessions per day by lecturers from academia and speakers from industry
- Test your knowledge - following the sessions, you will have an assignment (individual and group) to assess and deepen the knowledge
- Hands-on sessions - Interact with lecturers and benefit from their expertise
- Q&A sessions every day - ask your questions to our teaching team at UZH
- Wrap-up - get an interactive recap of the program at the end of each week
- Group work - interact with other students and work together on your final project
- Mentoring for your final project
Scholarships and Funding
We offer generous discounts to students from UZH partner universities, including strategic partners and international networks (Una Europa, Universitas 21 and LERU). There are also opportunities to receive scholarships from our industry partners who generously support "Deep Dive into Blockchain".
State your interest in a scholarship in your motivation letter. Once we have received your application, we will notify you of any potential discounts available to you.
- Get to know how blockchain-based systems work
- Understand the economics incentives as the basis of blockchain-based systems
- Learn to critically assess the decisions taken when designing blockchain technologies
- Learn from experts in academia and industry
- Obtain hands-on experience in both established and advancing technologies from our industry partners: Web3 Foundation, Cardano, Tezos, Hyperledger Fabric, Polkadot, IOTA and others!
This program is designed for talented Bachelor students, who have completed their first year of study, as well as Master students. Other applicants might be admitted to the program "sur dossier". Please reach out to us if you have questions regarding entry requirements!
This course is of particular interest to students from the fields of Economics, Finance, Business, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or Law. Students from other fields of study with a strong interest in the topic and Data Science who have a strong technical and analytical background are also welcome to apply. Basic knowledge of programming is not required, but desirable.
Additionally, applicants must possess a sufficient command of English (broadly CEFR B2 or equivalent) to be able to actively contribute to classes. This needs to be visible from your motivation letter, previous studies or work experience.
The University of Zurich has been ranked No. 1 in Europe and No. 3 worldwide among universities in Blockchain research ((ranking by CoinDesk 2022).