MSc in Sustainable Mountain Development
University of the Highlands and Islands
2 - 6 years
GBP 9,720 / per year *
Earliest start date
* Scottish: £5,000 | Rest of UK: £6,480 | International: £9,720
What is special about this course?
If you want to make a real difference towards the sustainability of mountain regions, this postgraduate course in Sustainable Mountain Development is for you. It has global recognition as a key activity of the UNESCO Chair in Sustainable Mountain Development.
You will access the latest thinking on complex mountain issues by studying modules with a focus on advanced theory and practice relating to environmental, social, economic and professional development. By the end of your studies, you will be equipped with the practical skills and knowledge to help you understand and manage the real challenges faced by people living in mountainous areas today.
- Develop key scientific and policy skills.
- Learn from experts in the field of sustainable mountain development at the Centre for Mountain Studies, including Professor Martin Price, holder of the UNESCO Chair in Sustainable Mountain Development.
- Study individual modules for personal or professional development, or work towards the PgCert, PgDip or full Masters degree.
- Study online, part-time to suit your lifestyle, from within the UK or internationally.
The course is part-time; you will study all modules online with support from experts at the Centre for Mountain Studies, based at Perth College UHI, and around the university network. This allows you to fit your studies around your personal and professional commitments. If you are not able to complete the full MSc, you can exit with a PgCert by completing the 3 core modules or a PgDip by also completing 3 optional modules.
There are also two stand-alone CPD modules, water management (starts September) and deer management, (starts end of January).
The MSc Sustainable Mountain Development can be studied online from anywhere in the world.
Scholarships and Funding
*Funding support notice*
Postgraduate Loans (SAAS) (Scottish domiciled and EU students)
Loans for tuition fees are available from SAAS for eligible Scotland domiciled and EU students, and loans for living costs for eligible Scottish students.
What can I do on completion of my course?
On successful completion of the MSc Sustainable Mountain Development, you will be equipped to pursue or further develop a career in a number of different spheres in mountain management, such as:
- Management positions in the public sector or non-governmental organisations
- Working in mountain areas in the UK, Europe or further afield
- Work with voluntary groups, conservation bodies or the private sector