Pre-sessional Course in English 2024 (online)
University of Oxford
Oxford, United Kingdom
01 Jul 2024
Earliest start date
08 Jul 2024
The University of Oxford Language Centre is pleased to offer an Online Pre-sessional English course. This six-week intensive programme provides students with the necessary academic writing and speaking skills to prepare them for studying in English at Oxford. The course is suitable for both postgraduates and undergraduates. International academics, and students preparing to study at universities other than Oxford, are also welcome to apply.
Benefits of our online course
There are a number of reasons to choose the Oxford Online Pre-sessional:
- You are able to follow the course from the convenience of your own home, and do not need to travel to Oxford
- The course is specifically designed for online delivery. Using cutting edge technology and software, the course follows the same curriculum, and offers the same quality of experience, as our in-person offering
- You will not miss out on personal feedback and social interactions. Over the weeks, you will:
- receive regular personalised tutorials and feedback with University of Oxford language tutors
- have the opportunity to meet and socialise with students from around the world in a virtual classroom environment
What you will study
Over the weeks, students will learn to write accurate, well-organised papers in a style appropriate to their discipline, and to use a range of reading techniques to improve their critical reading and note-taking skills. Students will practise their spoken English, learning how to express their ideas clearly and concisely, and to interact effectively and appropriately with others in seminar style classes and during presentations. Furthermore, students will receive advice and practice on improving their listening skills. Specifically, the Online Summer Pre-sessional English Course will help students:
- Write academic English for different audiences and purposes
- Understand grammatical aspects of language that pose difficulty for non-native writers
- Read more effectively, with increased efficiency and speed
- Improve their pronunciation and learn to speak confidently in lectures, seminars and tutorials
- Develop academic study skills such as searching for information and referencing sources
The course will be delivered through online lectures, recorded by our Academic English team and expert departmental lecturers. It will be supported with live classes, small seminars, and one-to-one and group tutorials with English tutors (using video conferencing software).
These real-time classes will be based around interactive exercises and collaborative tasks, and students will be expected to research and prepare written and oral assignments in their discipline of study. Comprehensive feedback will be provided by tutors via videoconferencing software and the Oxford Virtual Learning Environment.
The Oxford Online Pre-sessional offers a stimulating introduction to academic and social life at the University of Oxford. Pre-sessional students will discover the history, traditions and unique culture of one of the world’s oldest and most prestigious universities, while making new friends.
Assessments & assessment results
The assessments will cover all four key skills: reading, writing, listening, and speaking, and will take place throughout the course.