Master of Education (M.Ed.)
University of Essex Online
GBP 12,167 / per year *
Earliest start date
* for UK students | £12,428 for international students
Get ready for the teaching practices of the future with this 100% online and part-time Master of Education (M.Ed.). This unique programme enables teachers, trainers and tutors from all backgrounds to reflect and develop their practice in an innovative way. It could also open doors to a more senior position or a managerial role within your institution.
Through this online Master of Education (M.Ed.), you will be introduced to the historical context that has influenced current educational practice and explores key theoretical ideas in the philosophy of education. You’ll develop the confidence and ability to adapt to a range of educational contexts, utilise strategies to solve problems, monitor progress and alter your approaches where necessary.
We’re a 100% online education provider, so we use a state-of-the-art virtual learning environment (VLE) to deliver our teaching, resources and assessments. Our system tracks and manages the learning process in real-time and provides you with immediate access to your learning materials. The VLE is accessible 24/7 and allows both students and tutors to actively take part in real-time conversations and live Q&As.
We believe you get the most out of your time spent studying when you are kept informed of your performance, and we achieve this by:
- assessing you throughout modules rather than waiting for the end of year assessments
- showing your marks in your grade book which can be viewed whenever you log onto the virtual learning environment (VLE)
- rapid turnaround on work assessed to ensure your grade book is always up to date
- ensuring you have regular contact with your Student Support team
All assessments are delivered through our virtual learning environment (VLE). There is no requirement to travel to external test centres or to sit exams! Instead, you will submit assignments through the VLE, such as written reports, discussion forum participation or reflective journal entries.
We also have a policy of ensuring that the work submitted by students is authentic – we use a well-established electronic monitoring system to check for plagiarism.
Why Essex Online?
Study online. Graduate on campus.
You will complete your studies and assessments 100% online and your qualification will be awarded by the University of Essex, an award-winning university with a 50-year heritage of teaching and research excellence and one of the top 25 universities in the UK (Complete University Guide 2022). Upon completing your course, you will graduate with the same certificate as campus-based students – your mode of study is only mentioned on your academic transcript.
Quality assured experience
The UK Government’s Teaching Excellence Framework rated us Gold for delivering consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for students (TEF 2018). We are also the highest-rated online-only provider in the National Student Survey (NSS 2020).
We stand behind the academic quality of our online courses and that’s why we offer a money-back guarantee. If you decide your course isn’t for you within 21 days, we’ll give you a full refund.*
*Terms and Conditions apply. To find out more please contact our Admissions team.
World-class academic and mentoring support
Our online tutors are leading authorities and specialists in their respective fields. They are passionate about what they teach and combine their knowledge of industry practice with high-quality academic delivery, offering you an unparalleled learning experience.
We also have a dedicated team of Student Advisers and Study Skills Advisers that will support you from your first day to graduation. They will be on hand to help and guide you as you progress through your studies. Whatever the question or issue, they will work with you to find a solution.
Essex Online offers a 20% discount for this program for September and October 2023 intake
Learn more about our scholarships
Continuing professional development is the cornerstone of this programme, with the qualification being linked to the UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF), allowing participants to document evidence for recognised CPD programmes/affiliations.
This Masters will help education professionals to improve their practice as teachers, lecturers, training advisers and administrators, policy developers, and researchers, as well as other related professions. Additionally, this qualification could help to open doors to more senior roles or leadership positions.
You can study the following modules on the Master of Education (M.Ed.):
- Philosophy of Education and Theories of Learning & Teaching*
- Delivering Effective Teaching and Learning*
- Introduction to Educational Assessment
- Using Technology in Teaching, Learning and Assessment
- The Role of Research and Academic Literature in Developing Practice
- Introduction to Learning Analytics
- The Science of Learning – practical implications for teaching
- Research Methods in Teaching & Learning*
- From Teacher to Content Developer
- From Teacher to Manager
- From Teacher to Assessment Developer
*These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
Program Tuition Fee
Scholarships and Funding
- Designated for postgraduate student loans in England.
- Simple monthly payment plan available, enabling you to spread the cost over the duration of your studies.
- Full payment discount of 5% if you pay upfront.
- Regional scholarship available for international students based overseas in eligible countries.
- Alumni discount of 10% of the tuition fee available if you are a previous graduate with the University of Essex or University of Essex Online.
- 10% corporate discount available when three or more of your employees study with us.
Please note, a maximum of two discounts or scholarships can be applied. The corporate discount can only be used in combination with our upfront payment discount, but not in conjunction with any other discount or scholarship. Find out more information about our discounts and scholarships.