BSc (Hons) Psychology
University of Essex Online
GBP 18,500 / per year *
Earliest start date
* for UK students | £19,425 for international students
This 100% online and part-time BSc (Hons) Psychology will challenge your perspectives as you explore how the mind functions. It is one of the few 100% online psychology programmes accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS).
On this online BSc (Hons) Psychology, you will learn about the theoretical and scientific underpinnings of psychology, as well as delve into several specialised areas within the field, such as mental health, investigative psychology, the psychology of sport and exercise, and critical social psychology. Finally, your studies will culminate with a final project on a psychology topic that aligns with your personal interests or professional goals.
This programme meets the British Psychological Society’s requirements of the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership Curriculum (GBC). This is an important step towards becoming a Chartered Member of the Society and it is recommended you choose an accredited course if you want to become a qualified psychologist in the UK.
We’re a 100% online education provider, so we use a state-of-the-art virtual learning environment (VLE) to deliver our teaching, resources and assessments. Our system tracks and manages the learning process in real-time and provides you with immediate access to your learning materials. The VLE is accessible 24/7 and allows both students and tutors to actively take part in real-time conversations and live Q&As.
We believe you get the most out of your time spent studying when you are kept informed of your performance, and we achieve this by:
- assessing you throughout modules rather than waiting for the end of year assessments
- showing your marks in your grade book which can be viewed whenever you log onto the virtual learning environment (VLE)
- rapid turnaround on work assessed to ensure your grade book is always up to date
- ensuring you have regular contact with your Student Support team
All assessments are delivered through our virtual learning environment (VLE). There is no requirement to travel to external test centres or to sit exams! Instead, you will submit assignments through the VLE, such as written reports, discussion forum participation or reflective journal entries.
We also have a policy of ensuring that the work submitted by students is authentic – we use a well-established electronic monitoring system to check for plagiarism.
Why Essex Online?
Study online. Graduate on campus.
You will complete your studies and assessments 100% online and your qualification will be awarded by the University of Essex, an award-winning university with a 50-year heritage of teaching and research excellence and one of the top 25 universities in the UK (Complete University Guide 2022). Upon completing your course, you will graduate with the same certificate as campus-based students – your mode of study is only mentioned on your academic transcript.
Quality assured experience
The UK Government’s Teaching Excellence Framework rated us Gold for delivering consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for students (TEF 2018). We are also the highest-rated online-only provider in the National Student Survey (NSS 2020).
We stand behind the academic quality of our online courses and that’s why we offer a money-back guarantee. If you decide your course isn’t for you within 21 days, we’ll give you a full refund.*
*Terms and Conditions apply. To find out more please contact our Admissions team.
World-class academic and mentoring support
Our online tutors are leading authorities and specialists in their respective fields. They are passionate about what they teach and combine their knowledge of industry practice with high-quality academic delivery, offering you an unparalleled learning experience.
We also have a dedicated team of Student Advisers and Study Skills Advisers that will support you from your first day to graduation. They will be on hand to help and guide you as you progress through your studies. Whatever the question or issue, they will work with you to find a solution.
On completion of this online BSc (Hons) Psychology, you will be eligible for the Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) provided you pass your Final Psychology Project with a minimum mark of 40% and gain at least a Lower Second-Class (2:2) Honours degree overall.
If you want to become a chartered psychologist, obtaining GBC is the first step and then you will need to undertake postgraduate study or training in the area of psychology you want to practice, for instance: clinical, educational, forensic, health or occupational psychology.
You could also pursue careers in a wide range of industries including business, counselling, civil service, healthcare, and teaching.
Gaining an undergraduate qualification with the University of Essex Online also puts you in good stead for your career prospects. Results from their 2021 student survey showed:
- 92% of students said their course helped develop their research skills
- 89% of students say their studies fit with their future plans
- 25% of students saw their salaries increase by up to 10%
You can study the following modules on the BSc (Hons) Psychology:
- Fundamentals of Effective Learning in Psychology*
- Introduction to Social Psychology*
- Personality and Intelligence*
- Introduction to Cognitive Psychology*
- The Psychology of Attitudes*
- Mental Health, Stress and Well-being*
- Introduction to Research Methods*
- Biological Psychology*
- Advanced Cognitive Psychology*
- Individual Differences, Emotions and Behaviour*
- Reasoning and Decision-Making*
- Quantitative Psychology*
- Psychological Development through the Lifespan*
- Forensic Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Educational Psychology
- Qualitative Research Methods*
- Critical Social Psychology*
- Developmental Science*
- Occupational Psychology*
- Psychology of Sport and Exercise*
- Investigative Psychology*
- Clinical and Counselling Psychology*
- Final Psychology Project*
*These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
Program Tuition Fee
Scholarships and Funding
- Designated for undergraduate student loans in England.
- Simple monthly payment plan available, enabling you to spread the cost over the duration of your studies.
- Full payment discount of 5% if you pay upfront.
- Regional scholarship available for international students based overseas in eligible countries.
- 10% corporate discount available when three or more of your employees study with us.
Please note, a maximum of two discounts or scholarships can be applied. The corporate discount can only be used in combination with our upfront payment discount, but not in conjunction with any other discount or scholarship. Find out more information about our discounts and scholarships.