Online Master of Education in Instructional Design and Technology
University of Cincinnati Online
1 - 2 year
Full time, Part time
USD 7,601 / per semester *
Earliest start date
* resident tuition per semester: $7,451 | non-resident tuition per semester: $7,601. Cost is subject to change. Financial aid is available
The University of Cincinnati’s MEd in Instructional Design and Technology is an online program focusing on the design, development, and evaluation of instructional materials and programs, and the use of technology in the delivery of educational and training services.
The University of Cincinnati’s CECH School of Education is consistently ranked among the nation’s very best by U.S. News and World Report.
What to expect with UC Online’s M.Ed Instructional Design and Technology Program
The University of Cincinnati’s 100% online program is taught by world-class professors that are experts in the areas of design, evaluation, as well as the use of media and technology. Concentrating on a well-rounded, interdisciplinary educational experience, courses draw from the fields of cognitive science, education, design, information technology, and computer science. Graduates of the IDT program become versatile content creators and are equipped to work in a variety of industries. Here are examples of graduate portfolios.
Program Offerings for the Instructional Design and Technology Program
- No GRE required
- 100% job placement rate
- Fully online – no campus visits required
- Opportunities for hands-on, experiential learning and project-based assignments
- Can be completed in less than 2 years
- Every student enrolled online is assigned a dedicated Academic Advisor and a Student Success Coordinator to provide one-on-one support
What Will I Learn?
The University of Cincinnati’s M.Ed. Instructional Design and Technology is taught by world-class professors who are experienced instructional designers and technologists. Concentrating on a well-rounded, interdisciplinary educational experience, courses draw from the fields of cognitive science, education, design, information technology, and computer science.
This online program teaches students to develop the knowledge and skills needed to facilitate learning by using the latest online and digital tools, all offered in a fully online learning environment that capitalizes on UC’s state-of-the-art virtual lab facilities.
Professional field experiences are available as an elective to apply what you learn to a real-world setting and a capstone experience allows students to create a professional portfolio of their work.
Students earning online degrees in instructional design can expect to take courses such as instructional design, learning sciences and technology, multimedia studio, designing online assessments for data-driven decisions, design of blended and online learning environments, trends and issues in learning technology evaluation, and more.
The University of Cincinnati Online also offers a Blended Online Learning and Teaching (BOLT) graduate certificate. The BOLT graduate certificate is 15 credit hours and sets students up to meet online teaching demands by gaining skills in education, design, and information technology.
Accreditations and Partnerships
- The College of Education, Criminal Justice, and Human Services is consistently ranked among the nation’s very best by U.S. News & World Report.
- The University of Cincinnati and all of its regional campuses are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Ranked #1 in Ohio as an online college leader by TheBestSchools.org.
- The University of Cincinnati Online partners with the Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT), an international organization that values the exchanging of ideas, thoughts, and collaboration with individuals whose activities are directed toward improving learning. AECT members include instructional designers, researchers, professors and teachers, educational technologists, and other professionals united by a passion for improving teaching and learning.
- UC Online is a proud member of the International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE). ICDE works towards bringing accessible, quality education to all through online, open, and distance learning. ICDE is a global association with a strong history of promoting inclusive, affordable, access to quality education.
What Can I Do with a Master’s in Instructional Design and Technology?
Whether you are interested in pursuing a new career in instructional design or technology, or a higher-level position, a master’s degree from the University of Cincinnati Online could help you keep up with the advancing instructional technology field.
The advances in technology are continuous. This means that ongoing professional development is vital to the success of students and those in organizations. The study of instructional design and technology is a rewarding career that will continue to grow as technology grows.
Earning your Master of Education in Instructional Design and Technology degree from the University of Cincinnati Online can help you gain a fundamental understanding of the IDT landscape. Our online students use their backgrounds in art, business, communication, computer science, education, English, graphic design, health care, learning sciences, military, and related fields to become versatile content creators who are equipped to work in a variety of industries.
All coursework for the Master of Education in Instructional Design and Technology program is completed 100% online. The IDT M.Ed. program teaches students to develop the knowledge and skills needed to facilitate learning by using the latest online and digital tools, all offered in a fully online learning environment that capitalizes on UC’s state-of-the-art virtual lab facilities.
Our program is taught by world-class faculty: individuals who are leaders in the field of instructional design & technology. Professional field experiences are available as an elective to apply what you learn to a real-world setting. Capstone experience allows students to create a professional portfolio of their work.
Curriculum at a Glance
- Instructional Design
- Learning Sciences and Technology
- Designing Online Assessments for Data-Driven Decisions
- Universal Design for Learning
- Multimedia Studio
- Applications and Issues of Teaching with Technology
- Design of Blended and Online Learning Environments
- Trends & Issues in Learning Technology Evaluation
- Conducting User Experience Focus Groups
- Creating Digital Professional Portfolios
- User Experience Questionnaires
- Conducting Usability Evaluations
- Fundamentals of Learning Analytics
- Master's Project: Instructional Design and Technology
Program Tuition Fee
With an ever-increasing demand for effective online and blended learning in both educational institutions and corporate settings, the ability to create, manage and facilitate online learning is now, more than ever, vital for educators in every field.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employment for instructional design and technology jobs such as Instructional Coordinators is projected to grow 10 percent through 2030. The median annual wage for instructional coordinators was $66,970 as of May 2020.
With an instructional design master’s degree, you will learn to create high-quality instruction in various industries. Some of your opportunities for employment include the following:
- Online instructors
- Corporate online trainers
- Teachers of e-learning
- Online learning content developers
- Technology professional development coordinators
- E-learning consultants
- Educational technology specialists
- E-learning managers