Online AAS Health Information Systems
University of Cincinnati Online
Full time, Part time
USD 3,714 / per semester *
Earliest start date
* non-resident tuition per semester | resident tuition per semester: $3,534. Cost is subject to change. Financial aid is available
What is Health Information Systems?
Health Information Systems (HIS) professionals organize and manage health information and medical records by ensuring quality, accuracy, confidentiality, and security. HIS professionals communicate regularly with physicians and other healthcare professionals to ensure the proper maintenance and management of electronic health records (EHRs).
Professionals who earn their health information systems degree online can specialize in several different areas of healthcare including medical billing, coding, health information and EHR management, health administration, cancer registry management, and more.
AAS HIS Program Outcomes:
After completing the online AAS HIS program, our graduates will:
- Have earned the highly sought-after RHIT® credential that top employers are looking for.
- Be fully Certified as a Professional Medical Coder, eligible to sit for the CPC® and CCA® exams.
- Stand out in the highly-competitive field of health information with your new degree, knowledge, and skills.
- Be able to leverage the latest tools and technology to improve patient care and reduce costs.
- Be able to verify the quality, completeness, and accuracy of medical records and health information.
- Be able to code professional diagnoses and complex medical procedures for billing and reimbursement.
Quick Program Stats:
- 71% Employment Rate: 71% of our HIS graduates were employed in the field within one year of graduation.*
- 90% RHIT Pass Rate: the average RHIT pass rate for Fall ’22 graduates was 90%! That’s over 22% higher than the national average!
- 100% Student Satisfaction: recent survey indicates 100% of our HIS grads were highly satisfied with the program! **
- *8/2021 – 7/2022; **2021-2022 student survey
AAS HIS Program Highlights:
- 100% online – no campus visits required
- Graduate with your Associate, Professional Medical Coding Certificate, and your RHIT®!
- Valuable experience and exclusive networking opportunities through UC’s national healthcare network
- Generous financial aid packages available including grants and scholarships
- Fast track your Bachelor’s degree with guaranteed acceptance into UC’s 100% online Bachelor’s in HIM! In just a few additional semesters, you can advance your degree to a Bachelor’s and earn a higher-level credential – the Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA®) credential.
AAS HIS Program Accreditation & Distinction:
Quality Matters – Exemplary Online Program Certification
UC’s Online AAS HIS program is a proud recipient of the Quality Matters Exemplary Online Program Certification. UC Online’s commitment to providing learners with an exceptional online learning experience was recognized by Quality Matters (QM) – the international leader in quality assurance for online and innovative digital teaching and learning environments.
The official Health Information Management accreditor of The University of Cincinnati Clermont is the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM®). The College’s accreditation for the Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Systems Technology has been reaffirmed through 2024-2025. All inquiries regarding the program’s accreditation status should be directed to CAHIIM by mail (200 East Randolph Street, Suite 5100, Chicago, IL, 60601); by phone (312.235.3255); or via email to ([email protected]).
Once you’ve completed a CAHIIM® accredited program and passed the registration exam offered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA®), you can sit for the exam. Earning the RHIT® credential validates your competence in health information systems, technology, and management. This certification is highly sought after by employers. Graduate with your AAS HIS degree, coding certificate, and your RHIT® and hit the ground running!
Career with an AAS in Health Information Systems
Join one of the fastest-growing professions in the United States!
Health information professionals care for patients by caring for their health information. They ensure that all of a patient's health information is complete, accurate, and protected. They ensure that health information, data, and statistics are readily available for health care providers, administrators, billers, insurers, and legislative and accrediting bodies. Health information management is the practice of acquiring, analyzing, protecting, and releasing electronic and paper health information that is vital to providing quality patient care.
A career in health information combines knowledge and skills from the disciplines of medicine, information management, business applications, and computer technology. Health information management is ranked number four on US News and World Report’s list of nine hot college majors.
Below you’ll find data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, which reports job outlook and salaries based on national data. The career(s) listed below are just a sample of the employment opportunities for this industry/sector. Wages, salaries, and job titles will vary depending on years of experience, credentials, geographic location, etc.
What is a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)?
The credential of RHIT indicates that you have graduated with an associate degree from a program that has been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management (CAHIIM) and have passed the registration exam offered by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Earning the credential of RHIT validates your competence in health information systems technology to employers and the public. Our program is accredited by CAHIIM.
What is Next After My Graduation with the AAS in Health Information Systems?
Most graduates hold RHIT credentials and start their professional careers right after graduation. Many of them continue to pursue a Bachelor’s in Health Information Management Online at UC while working. After the bachelor program, you can sit for a higher level credentialing exam, Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) exam, and increase your earning potential.
Cancer Registry Management Certificate Program is another great opportunity to continue to grow in your profession. Only less than 10 Cancer Registry programs are in the country. You can get your Cancer Registry certificate at UC Online after completing your AAS degree.
HIS professionals play a crucial role in ensuring the quality, accuracy, and security of patient information and medical records. UC’s HIS degree program is offered 100% online and combines elements of healthcare administration, coding, billing, records management, compliance, data analysis and reporting, clinical healthcare, business, and information technology. Our curriculum is continuously updated with the latest compliance, quality, accreditation, and certification standards.
Our CAHIIM-Accredited program is designed to prepare students to sit for the nationally recognized credential of Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT) in their last semester. Our graduates are fully credentialed, highly knowledgeable, and in high demand. After obtaining the RHIT certification, many of our HIS graduates continue their education by pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management (HIM) and earning the Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) credential – opening up even more opportunities for career growth and professional advancement.
Customized curriculum maps are available to fit busy schedules. Our program accepts students 3 times a year (Spring, Summer, and Fall). HIS students will also participate in a Professional Practicum Experience (PPE).
The PPE provides students with professional experience and is an essential component of the HIS program. It is a unique opportunity to learn in a real-world environment – where knowledge and facts gain meaning and professional roles and responsibilities are demonstrated. PPE opportunities are available at professional practice facilities throughout the U.S. HIS Program Director(s) and Faculty will assist students in securing a facility in their geographic area. These on-site and online simulations are designed to reinforce the knowledge, competencies, and skills gained in the program.
Healthcare Applications and Computer Skills
Students that have transfer credit for three (3) credit hours of BIT 1013C with a C- or higher will be exempt from the Computer Skills Test. Students that have transfer credit for three (3) credit hours of HCMT 2015 will also be exempt from the Computer Skills Test and from retaking HCMT 2015.
Those that do not have transfer credit will take a Computer Skills Test during their online orientation to assess their knowledge of computer programs. Students that do not score an 80% or above on the Computer Skills Test are strongly encouraged to enroll in BIT 1013C (Introduction to Software Applications). Students that pass BIT 1013C will be more likely to succeed in HCMT 2015. BIT 1013C will give students a more comprehensive overview of computer programs that will be explored in more detail in HCMT 2015.
Curriculum at a Glance
- Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology
- Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology Lab
- Foundations of Pharmacology
- English Composition
- Medical Terminology for the Health Professions
- Introduction to Health Information Systems
- ICD Medical Coding II
- Human Disease
- Introduction to Statistics
- Health Information Administration Practices
- ICD Medical Coding I
- ICD Medical Coding III
- Advanced Coding Applications
- Health Information Systems Professional Practicum
- Intermediate Composition
- CPT Medical Coding
- Healthcare Applications
- Health Information Ethics
- Healthcare Data Analysis
- Healthcare Reimbursement
- Revenue Cycle Management