University Extension Course Food Preservation and Cooking Techniques, Vacuum and Fifth Range
Universidad Rey Juan Carlos
EUR 492 *
Earliest start date
* price for non-resident non-community students is just approximate since then each academic rate is different.
The course is based on the study of food preservation and cooking techniques, including the techniques used at an industrial level and that will help the student to acquire the theoretical-scientific foundations on which the different techniques are based, which will allow them to improve the skills in the exercise of their profession, improving both the quality and safety of processed foods. The contents include basic contents of food microbiology, conservation techniques by cold, heat, drying and dehydration, as well as in vacuum, modified and controlled protective atmospheres. In addition, it includes culinary techniques for preserving and preparing food from the traditional to the avant-garde, with special emphasis on the vacuum technique.
The vacuum technique has been an effective way of conservation for years, but over the years and thanks to research, we have not only discovered a great way to control culinary processes, but also an exceptional system to comply with hygienic regulations. current health.
Mastering all these techniques allows us to extend best-before dates, control losses and stocks, and greatly facilitate catering services thanks to the controlled regeneration of food that has been prepared in a production kitchen. All this allows to control costs and helps to carry out purchases and orders, facilitating the organization in warehouses.
The course also includes notions about mandatory hygienic-sanitary standards in hospitality, which will help us, together with knowledge about the different preparation and conservation techniques, to improve food safety throughout its useful life, avoiding the development and proliferation of bacteria, as well as the content of processed toxins, offering customers a service of the highest quality. All of this will make it possible to improve the management of a gastronomic business, even allowing to optimize the work of the staff and standardize processes.
Extensive knowledge of the vacuum technique also allows the production of fifth-range products, giving the possibility of creating your own brand and avoiding having to purchase this type of food through third parties, reducing costs. In addition, it should be noted that Aranjuez has exceptional raw materials with which students will be able to practically apply this innovative culinary technique in the development of menus.
Master all the concepts derived from food preservation and preparation techniques used both at an industrial and culinary level from the traditional to the avant-garde, with special emphasis on the use of vacuum theory in its two aspects of food preservation and cooking.
Unit 1. Industrial preservation techniques
- introduction to food microbiology
- Cold food preservation: freezing and refrigeration
- preservation of food by heat:
- Sterilization, pasteurization, blanching.
- Pasteurization processes. Htst process and uht process. Milk pasteurization and juice pasteurization.
- Food preservation by drying and dehydration:
- Water activity.
- Hot air drying.
- Dry by contact with a hot surface.
- Drying equipment.
- Freeze concentration.
- conservation in vacuum, modified and controlled protective atmospheres:
- Types of protective atmospheres.
- Vacuum packed.
- Packaging in modified atmospheres.
- Storage in controlled atmospheres.
- food preservation by irradiation: types of radiation. Interaction of ionizing radiation with matter. Dose concept. Applications in the food industry.
Unit 2. Preservation and preparation techniques in the kitchen
- conservation due to low temperatures: refrigeration, freezing and thawing in the kitchen.
- preservation at high temperatures: pasteurization and home canning.
- traditional conservation and cooking techniques:
- Marinades, marinades, smoked, spicy.
- Fermentations and sprouts.
- Food cooking: baking, cooking and frying.
- modern conservation and cooking techniques:
- Food additives
- Cooked under pressure and vacuum
Subject 3. The technique of vacuum in the cooking of food
- sous vide process. Concept and utility.
- Direct vacuum. Concept, technique and types of food to which it is applied
- Indirect vacuum. Concept, technique and types of food to which it is applied
- conservation and vacuum processes
- fifth range and food industrialization processes
- vacuum menu design
Subject 4. Sanitary hygiene regulations
- regulation (ce) no. 852/2004 of the european parliament and of the council of april 29, 2004 on the hygiene of food products. Basic concepts.
- law 17/2011, on food safety and nutrition. Basic concepts.
- regulation (eu) no. 1169/2011 on the information provided to the consumer. Basic concepts.
The University Extension Course on Food Preservation and Cooking Techniques, focusing on Vacuum and Fifth Range, offers 8 ECTS credits.