Online Certificate in Organizational Leadership & Communication
University of California, Irvine - Division of Continuing Education
1 - 2 year
USD 5,100 / per course *
Earliest start date
* average cost
In today’s demanding workplace, managers are constantly challenged to find new and innovative ways to involve and motivate employees and affect positive change that improves the company’s bottom line. The Organizational Leadership and Communication Certificate Program focuses on the practical skills professionals need to develop and maintain in order to lead others and be an agent of change. This program begins by teaching participants the fundamentals of leadership and continues by teaching participants valuable skills in interpersonal communication, small group communication, conflict management, intercultural communication, writing, and managing organizational change.
According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook published by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, persons interested in becoming managers should have good leadership and communication skills and be able to establish effective working relationships with many different people. They also must be able to coordinate several activities at once, quickly analyze and resolve specific problems, and cope with deadlines. Successful managers must be well rounded and have excellent leadership and communication skills.
Occupational summary for managers in the United States.
- Jobs: 462,840 (2018)
- Projected Growth: 5% (2019-2029)
- Annual Median Salary: $105,660k (2019)
- Communicate ideas clearly, powerfully, and intentionally to inspire and lead others to create vision, shape culture, and achieve organizational goals.
- Develop strong interactive communication skills to strengthen relationships across teams, departments, and hierarchical levels.
- Develop communication strategies for team building to effectively collaborate for better problem solving and decision making.
- Transform destructive conflict into constructive conflict while building trust in the organization and creating a productive working environment.
- Recognize cultural differences within and across organizations and use best communication practices to enhance understanding and good will.
- Plan, introduce, and implement a successful change with employee support in today’s complex business environment.
- Build, manage, and lead virtual teams at a distance while implementing strategies to maximize collaboration and productivity.
- Use powerful writing skills to compose effective messages that produce desired results in various business contexts.
- Foundations of Leadership (2 units)
- Communication in a Diverse and Changing Workplace (2 units)
- Leading Small Groups (2 units)
- Conflict Resolution (2 units)
- Communicating Across Cultures (2 units)
- Leading Successful Organizational Change (3 units)
- Virtual or Remote Management and Communication (2 units)
- Modern Business Writing (2.5 units)
Who Should Enroll
This program is targeted to managers and those wanting to get into a management role to become effective leaders and change agents in their organizations through competencies in people-management skills, effective communication skills, conflict management skills, and team-building skills.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.