Master of Information and Cybersecurity (MICS) UC Berkeley School of Information
Earn your Masters of Information and Cybersecurity online from UC Berkeley's School of Information in as few as 20 months. With no GRE/GMAT scores required to apply, attend UC Berkeley from anywhere in the world, and learn to apply encryption, digital privacy, and network security skills.
The UC Berkeley School of Information offers the online Master of Information and Cybersecurity (MICS), designed to train students with professional experience for a career in cybersecurity. MICS students make valuable connections with peers and faculty and benefit from I School resources and UC Berkeley’s proximity to Silicon Valley.
The MICS program features live classes taught by experienced Berkeley faculty, engaging course content, a capstone project, and an on-campus immersion to give students a holistic understanding of complex cybersecurity principles.
- Complete your degree online in as little as 20 months
- Gain insight on the latest knowledge from cybersecurity experts at UC Berkeley
- Experience an immersive online program with live classes, a capstone project, and an in-person immersion
- Develop an understanding of strategic cybersecurity practices and principles across the business, political, and legal contexts
- Make valuable connections with tech professionals in California and around the world
MICS curriculum covers the following subjects:
- secure coding
- network and web security
- operating systems security
- law, ethics, and privacy
- cyber offense and cyber defense
- government and national security
- economics of cybersecurity
Since its founding in 1994, the I School’s mission has been to develop sustainable ways to organize and comprehend the abundance of information in modern society. The MICS program will provide students with the knowledge necessary to ensure security and privacy in a time of evolving technology and cybersecurity practices. They will learn how to approach security threats from multiple perspectives and strategically engineer solutions. This multidisciplinary program enables MICS students to apply skills developed in class to leadership roles in a variety of fields.
The MICS program is designed for mid-career professionals with backgrounds in computer science, information technology, electrical and computer engineering, or related fields. Developed in collaboration with faculty from the UC Berkeley College of Engineering, the MICS curriculum aims to inform leaders who go on to work in either private-sector tech companies or government and military organizations.