Associate Degree in
AOS Health Information Administration The College Of Westchester
The AOS (Associate in Occupational Studies) degree in Health Information Administration is a fully online program that prepares health information administration (HIA) professionals to work in a variety of administrative medical office settings including both private practice and larger healthcare facilities. Graduates of this program are trained to organize, analyze, and technically evaluate patient health information in both electronic and hard copy formats, maintain and use health information indexes, and facilitate the storage and retrieval of medical records. Graduates may seek employment in medical office management positions where knowledge of medical terminology and medical billing and coding are most important. Credits can be transferred to the bachelor's program.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Associate Health Information Administration program should be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to collect patient health information and analyze medical reports for the correct diagnosis and procedures, as is necessary for accurate reimbursement and billing.
- Apply the concepts of computer-based and other electronic technology related to health care, including the use of industry-specific software applications and other tools and techniques for collecting, storing, and retrieving health care data.
- Participate in health information analysis tasks such as abstracting, interpreting, and presenting statistics and relevant health care data.
- Accurately assign diagnostic and procedural codes, and use the appropriate classification systems to correlate the completeness and accuracy of this type of data to reimbursement data.
- Apply knowledge of the medical insurance industry by accurately recording co-payments, deductibles, and coinsurance while successfully processing medical insurance claims both manually and electronically.
- Establish and maintain systems designed to protect the confidentiality and privacy of health records and apply principles of legal and ethical behavior relative to health information.
- Effectively monitor all administrative processes germane to the daily operation of the medical facility while exercising leadership and motivation to Health Information Administration professionals.
- Human Biology
- Medical Terminology & Human Systems
- Healthcare Law And Ethics
- Introduction To Medical Coding
- Advanced Medical Coding
- Hospital Reimbursement
- Administrative Medical Practices
- Medical Billing
- Health Information Technology
- Medical Information Management
- Office Applications: Microsoft Word & Powerpoint
- Human Resources Management
- Principles Of Management
- Financial Accounting I
- Spreadsheet Applications (Excel)
General Education/ Technology Courses
- Transformative Learning
- Digital Literacy In The Workplace
- English Composition I
- English Composition Ii
- Essentials Of Public Speaking
- Professional Communications And Career Development