MSc Finance (Financial Sector Management) (Online) SOAS University of London
Mode of Attendance: Online learning
Our MSc Finance (Financial Sector Management) programme is designed to advance a career in management within banks and other financial firms, this programme enables you to deepen your understanding of the principles, applications, and context underlying decision making in financial sector management.
Students who take the MSc in Finance will acquire a sound understanding of theories in finance and of the workings of financial markets, for a career in finance or for further research at the PhD level. Students will also become acquainted with the main issues and methods in Corporate Finance, Risk Management, Banking, and Financial Econometrics. The programme will present Finance as a scientific discipline with a rigorous methodology, but at the same time will describe the way financial markets and institutions actually work in a variety of contexts.
Our teaching offers you exceptional insights into financial institutions and markets in the world. You will develop an excellent understanding of key issues shaping international business strategy in a global financial environment.
Why study MSc Finance (Financial Sector Management) at SOAS
Learn from world-class financial experts
- we have the Centre for Global Finance (CGF), a world-leading research centre in finance, which hosts cutting-edge research projects that involve students and a global network of experts in generating innovative solution to real-time challenges
Obtain real-world skills in the global financial hub – London
- you will be equipped with strong quantitative and analytical skills to undertake professional tasks such as financial analysis, risk management, investment appraisal and portfolio allocation
- SOAS is in close proximity to the City of London, a leading financial centre in the world with 75% of the top global companies based in the city, 100% of leading financial institutions represented, and 200 + foreign banks
You will study six modules: four core modules and two elective modules selected from the lists below.
If you wish to complete the Dissertation you must study Research Methods.
- Bank Financial Management
- Banking and Capital Markets
- Banking Strategy
- Corporate Finance
- Finance in the Global Market
- Advanced Topics in Valuation
- Bank Regulation and Resolution of Banking Crises
- Corporate Governance
- Econometric Analysis and Applications
- Econometric Principles and Data Analysis
- Financial Econometrics
- Introduction to Valuation
- Macroeconomic Policy and Financial Markets
- Microeconomic Principles and Policy
- Modelling Firms and Markets
- Research Methods
- Risk Management: Principles and Applications
The information on the programme page reflects the intended programme structure against the given academic session.
Graduates from the MSc in Finance will be well equipped for a career in corporate finance, treasury, banking, investments, financial analysis, and other finance-related strategic roles in business.
Students who attain a distinction or merit grade will be well-placed to embark on research towards a PhD. The School of Finance and Management maintains close links with employers in the United Kingdom and its focus regions; the Centre for Global Finance has solid international links with multinational firms, governments and multilateral financial institutions.
Our graduates may wish to consider taking up work in a wide range of organisations, including:
- Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ
- Euro Monitor International
- HM Treasury
- Western Securities Co. Ltd
Graduates may also consider taking up the following roles:
- Financial Analyst
- Investment Banker
- Market Research Executive
- Management Consultant
- Foreign Exchange Trading Business Manager
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.