MA in English Literature
Online United Kingdom
Full time, Part time
GBP 7,080 *
Earliest start date
02 Sep 2023
* total cost
Our MA in English Literature introduces you to studying literature, poetry, drama and prose in relation to culture and across three broad themes. The first of these, literary-popular culture, includes exploring genre writing, the bestseller and mass literary production. In revolution and literature, you’ll encounter texts representing revolutionary social or political change. The third theme is global literary cultures where you’ll look at English literature as an international literary form. The structure of this masters degree allows you to select options and specialise throughout the first year in preparation for the more sustained self-directed work of the dissertation in year two.
Key features of the course
- Explore literature as a cultural artefact and a form shaped by commercial production, morality, politics, ideas of value, and histories of difference.
- Provides options to specialise in at every stage, effectively curating your own pathway.
- Equips you with practical skills in literary research methods such as archival and manuscript research.
- Provides the opportunity to design and disseminate your work on digital platforms.
The learning outcomes of this qualification are described in four areas:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Key skills
To gain the 180 credits you require for this qualification, you must study the modules in the order shown below and pass part 1 before progressing to part 2:
- MA English literature part 1 (A893)
- MA English literature part 2 (A894)
You should note that the University’s unique study rule applies to this qualification. This means that you must include at least 60 credits from OU modules that have not been counted in any other OU qualification that has previously been awarded to you. Due to the structure of this qualification, 90 credits will be required.