Certificate of Higher Education in Law and German
Online United Kingdom
1 - 2 year
Full time, Part time
GBP 6,924 / per year *
07 Sep 2023
Earliest start date
* cost per year full-time; £3,462 - cost per year part-time
Combining law with German is both stimulating and a smart career move. You’ll divide your study equally between both subjects. It offers a broad grounding in key concepts associated with law and in the use of German. With this certificate, you’ll raise your legal awareness and acquire skills in legal analysis and methods. The study of German opens doors to other cultures and communities and can provide a key to the global workplace.
Key features of the course
- Develops a broad understanding of the role of law in society today.
- Provides you with legal awareness and the skills of legal analysis and methods.
- Develops you into an independent user of German, reaching level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- Develops broad knowledge of the cultures that use German, and basic intercultural communication competence.
A nationally recognised qualification in its own right, this certificate of higher education is also equivalent to the first third of the BA (Honours) Law and German (R56).
We make all our qualifications as accessible as possible and have a comprehensive range of services to support all our students. The Certificate of Higher Education in Law and Languages uses a variety of study materials and may have the following elements:
- Studying a mixture of printed and online material – online learning resources may include websites, audio/video media clips, and interactive activities such as online quizzes.
- Working in a group with other students.
- Using and producing diagrams or screenshots.
- Undertaking practical work.
- Finding external/third party material online.
- Using specialist software.
- Continuous and end-of-module assessment in the form of essays, short answer questions, and in some cases an examination.
- Using feedback: continuous assessment involves receiving detailed feedback on your work from your tutor and using this feedback to improve your performance.
- Some modules may require you to attend a residential school.
This qualification develops your learning in four main areas:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Key skills
The level and depth of your learning gradually increase as you work through the qualification. You’ll be supported throughout by the OU’s unique style of teaching and assessment – which includes a personal tutor to guide and comment on your work; top quality course texts; e-learning resources like podcasts, interactive media and online materials; tutorial groups and community forums.
This certificate has only one stage, comprising 120 credits:
- In Stage 1, you’ll study a balance of both introductory law and language modules.
Prepare for OU study with an Access module
We offer two starting points depending on how confident you are or how long it’s been since you last studied. Choose to dive straight in at Stage 1, or if you’d prefer some extra preparation, you can get started with an optional Access module.