Certificate of Higher Education in Childhood and Youth Studies
Online United Kingdom
1 - 2 year
Full time, Part time
GBP 6,924 / per year *
07 Sep 2023
Earliest start date
* cost per year full-time; £3,462 - cost per year part-time
Interested in how social, cultural and psychological influences impact the lives of children and young people? This engaging and wide-ranging interdisciplinary certificate is for anyone working with children and young people or with a general interest in the field. You’ll investigate policies, practices and issues affecting the lives of children and young people across a range of settings – developing your knowledge, your analytical skills and improving your practice.
Key features of the course
- Spans the entire childhood age range from early years to youth
- Topics include child development and child psychology, international childhoods, learning and development
- Explores children and young people’s lives from different perspectives alongside students studying and working in different settings
- Relevant to a wide range of careers in childcare, education, health and social care
We make all our qualifications as accessible as possible and have a comprehensive range of services to support all our students. The Certificate of Higher Education in Childhood and Youth Studies uses a variety of study materials and has the following elements:
- studying online – some modules have a mixture of printed and online material and others are entirely online. Online learning resources may include websites, audio/video media clips, and interactive activities such as online quizzes
- Face-to-face tutorials/day schools/workshops and/or online tutorials
- working in a group with other students
- undertaking practical work
- finding external/third party material online.
This qualification develops your learning in four main areas:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Key skills
The level and depth of your learning gradually increase as you work through the qualification. You’ll be supported throughout by the OU’s unique style of teaching and assessment – which includes a personal tutor to guide and comment on your work; top quality course texts; e-learning resources like podcasts, interactive media and online materials; tutorial groups and community forums.
This qualification has one stage, comprising 120 credits.
- It includes a compulsory 60-credit module.
- You’ll also choose an optional 60-credit module.