BA (Honours) in Language Studies with German and Spanish
Online United Kingdom
3 - 6 years
Full time, Part time
GBP 6,924 / per year *
07 Sep 2023
Earliest start date
* cost per year full-time; £3,462 - cost per year part-time
You’ll study a range of aspects relating to German and Spanish language and culture around the world – including history, current affairs and the arts – through a range of interactive materials and practical activities. You’ll also develop transferable academic and digital-literacy skills. On completion, you’ll have a high level of modern-language proficiency and intercultural competence, making you an effective global communicator.
Key features of the course
- Develops you into a proficient user (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages level C1) of German and Spanish
- Develops advanced knowledge of the cultures where German is used and where Spanish is used
- Extends your competence in intercultural communication
- Offers the option of a week in Germany and a week in Spain (or online alternative)
We make all our qualifications as accessible as possible and have a comprehensive range of services to support all our students. The BA (Honours) Language Studies uses a variety of study materials and has the following elements:
- studying a mixture of printed and online material – online learning resources may include websites, audio/video media clips, and interactive activities such as online quizzes
- face-to-face and/or live online tutorials (face-to-face events may be replaced with an online alternative where required)
- working in a group with other students
- finding external/third party material online
- using specialist software such as Adobe Connect – if you study Exploring English grammar (E304)
- continuous and end-of-module assessment in the form of online quizzes, recorded presentations, essays, short answer questions, and in some cases an examination
- using feedback: continuous assessment involves receiving detailed feedback on your work from your tutor and using this feedback to improve your performance
- engagement with learning and assessment within a pre-determined schedule or timetable – time management will be needed during your studies and the University will help you to develop these skills throughout your degree
- some modules may require you to attend a residential school or an online alternative.
This qualification develops your learning in four main areas:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Key skills
The level and depth of your learning gradually increases as you work through the qualification. You’ll be supported throughout by the OU’s unique style of teaching and assessment – which includes a personal tutor to guide and comment on your work; top quality course texts; elearning resources like podcasts, interactive media and online materials; tutorial groups and community forums.
This qualification has three stages, each comprising 120 credits.
- In Stage 1, you’ll study a compulsory 30-credit module. You’ll choose your remaining 90 credits from a range of language modules.
- In Stage 2, you’ll study a 60-credit German module and a 60-credit Spanish module.
- In Stage 3, you’ll study a 60-credit German module and a 60-credit Spanish module.