BA (Honours) in Language Studies with English and Spanish
Online United Kingdom
3 - 6 years
Full time, Part time
GBP 6,924 / per year *
07 Sep 2023
Earliest start date
* cost per year full-time; £3,462 - cost per year part-time
In your study of English, you’ll find out how the language works and how it varies depending on the context. You’ll also explore its history, its politics, and how it came to be such a hugely influential global language. Your Spanish studies will cover a range of aspects relating to the language and its cultures around the world. On completion, you’ll be an independent and intercultural user of Spanish, have a wide-ranging understanding of how the English language is used to influence, and persuade.
Key features of the course
- Develops you into a proficient user (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages level C1) of Spanish
- Develops advanced knowledge of the cultures where Spanish is used
- Explores the evolution and diversification of English as a global language
- Develops your understanding of effective communication in English
- Offers the option of a week in Spain (or online alternative)
We make all our qualifications as accessible as possible and have a comprehensive range of services to support all our students. The BA (Honours) Language Studies uses a variety of study materials and has the following elements:
- studying a mixture of printed and online material – online learning resources may include websites, audio/video media clips, and interactive activities such as online quizzes
- face-to-face and/or live online tutorials (face-to-face events may be replaced with an online alternative where required)
- working in a group with other students
- finding external/third party material online
- using specialist software such as Adobe Connect – if you study Exploring English grammar (E304)
- continuous and end-of-module assessment in the form of online quizzes, recorded presentations, essays, short answer questions, and in some cases an examination
- using feedback: continuous assessment involves receiving detailed feedback on your work from your tutor and using this feedback to improve your performance
- engagement with learning and assessment within a pre-determined schedule or timetable – time management will be needed during your studies and the University will help you to develop these skills throughout your degree
- some modules may require you to attend a residential school or an online alternative.
This qualification develops your learning in four main areas:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Key skills
The level and depth of your learning gradually increases as you work through the qualification. You’ll be supported throughout by the OU’s unique style of teaching and assessment – which includes a personal tutor to guide and comment on your work; top quality course texts; elearning resources like podcasts, interactive media and online materials; tutorial groups and community forums.
This qualification has three stages, each comprising 120 credits.
- In Stage 1, you’ll study a compulsory 60-credit module. You’ll choose your remaining 60 credits from a range of language modules.
- In Stage 2, you’ll study a 60-credit English language studies module and a 60-credit Spanish module.
- In Stage 3, you’ll study a 60-credit English language studies module and a 60-credit Spanish module.