Computer Science MS
Old Dominion University
Full time, Part time
USD 595 / per credit **
Request info *
Earliest start date
** In-state Virginia Residents: $547 per credit hour* Out-of-State Students: $595 per credit hour.
This program is meant for students with a strong background in computer science. ODU's Computer Science Department supports in-depth study at the graduate level in areas such as bioinformatics, data mining, digital libraries, high-performance computing, networking, cyber security, software engineering, and computational foundations. Courses in our Cyber Security graduate certificate program may be applied towards this master's degree in Computer Science.
- 31-34 credit hours
This program has three options:
- Courses-only: 34 credit hours minimum, including a 1-credit-hour colloquium. The final comprehensive exam includes a written report and an oral exam.
- Project: 34 credit hours minimum, including a 1-credit-hour colloquium and 3-credit-hour Masters Project. The final comprehensive exam consists of a written project report and oral presentation of the results.
- Thesis: 31 credit hours minimum, including a 1-credit-hour colloquium and 6-credit-hour Masters Thesis. The final comprehensive exam consists of an oral thesis defense and thesis document.
Online Learning Environment
Access course materials online from any location. Many classes don't have a scheduled meeting time, so you can fit a class into your personal schedule. The instructor may schedule assignments and exams at specific times. All courses follow ODU's regular academic calendar.
Careers in Computer Science
A master's degree in Computer Science can help you in careers such as:
- Cybersecurity analyst/specialist
- Network/database administrator
- Software developer/engineer
- Systems analyst
- Web developer
How to Apply
To apply for this Master of Science program, you should have a strong background in the C or C++ programming language, Data Structures, Computer Organization, Operating Systems, and Theoretical Computer Science. Because many of the Computer Science courses involve the use of mathematics, you are also expected to have a good background in Calculus, Linear Algebra, Discrete Mathematics, and Probability & Statistics. TUITION: Click Here In-state Virginia Residents: $547 per credit hour* Out-of-State Students: $595 per credit hour. APPLICATION DEADLINES - Fall Spring Summer Domestic: June 1 November 1 March 1 International: April 15 October 1 February 1
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.