M.S. In General Psychology
Nova Southeastern University
Fort Lauderdale, USA
1 - 2 year
USD 865 / per credit *
Earliest start date
* additional fees may apply
The Master's Degree Program in General Psychology is a 30-credit online program that will prepare students to develop foundational knowledge in psychological theory and research. Local, national, and international students may select this M.S. degree as an opportunity to obtain prerequisite courses to meet eligibility requirements for application to other psychology programs, including advanced doctoral studies.
Through its specialty tracks, the program will also allow a variety of professionals within the fields of education, human services, counseling, and allied health to access coursework both as degree-seeking and non-degree-seeking students in order to advance their psychological knowledge and use of psychological applications in their respective fields.
In addition to the direct benefit of obtaining foundational knowledge in psychology, the curriculum is designed to facilitate the development of basic interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity, and additional knowledge and skills that enhance the preparation of students for professional work in increasingly diverse social agencies, school, and community settings, in business and industry environments, and in hospitals.
* Important Note:
Graduate students who earn this degree will not have met the educational requirements for certification or licensure in the state of Florida and should not expect to provide psychological services as independent practitioners. Applicants seeking licensure/certification should consider M.S. in Counseling, Psy.S. in School Psychology, Psy.D. in School Psychology, Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, or Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology.
The master's program is offered entirely online. The online format allows students to participate in courses from anywhere in the world where internet access is available. In addition, it allows for the flexibility of completing your master's degree without interrupting your career.
Master's students are provided NSU computer accounts, including email and Blackboard but must obtain their own Internet service providers, use their own computer systems, and have a usable web camera. Online students use the web to access course materials, announcements, email, distance library services, subscription library databases, and other information, and to interact with faculty and fellow students. Online, interactive learning methods are based on the use of Blackboard as a course management system. Online activities facilitate frequent student-to-faculty and student-to-student interaction. They are supported by threaded discussion boards, whiteboards, chat rooms, email, and multimedia presentations. In addition, Blackboard enables students to submit assignments online in multimedia formats and to receive their professors' reviews of assignments online in the same formats.
Here are some of the reasons why students chose NSU.
- Small class sizes give you one-to-one access to professors.
- Vibrant campus life includes NCAA Athletics, social and professional organizations, cultural activities, and wellness and fitness.
- Ranked a top 200 best colleges among national universities in 2018.
- Prestigious graduate programs in medicine, law, psychology, business, education, pharmacy, dentistry, and more.
- A diverse student population includes 1200 international students from 116 countries on five continents.
- State-of-the-art facilities include the latest classroom technology, advanced laboratories, and the best research libraries.
- Many of NSU graduates go on to earn master's, doctoral or professional degrees at NSU or other universities. Undergraduate students participate in NSU research in fields like medicine, oceanography, cancer, psychology, dentistry, and autism.
- Students build relationships by participating in numerous community events, many held on NSU’s campus. Our beautiful main campus is just minutes from Fort Lauderdale's beach, South Beach, Las Olas nightlife, and the Everglades.
The curriculum for the program consists of 30 credits in total: 21 credits of foundational courses and 9 credits from one of two specialty tracks. Students in the General Track can choose to write a Master's thesis (6 credits) instead of two of the courses in the track. Students who indicate that their career objective is to apply to a doctoral program will be advised to complete a Master's thesis. Students who choose to write a Master's thesis under the supervision of a faculty must successfully complete their research and writing associated with the thesis. Students may also come to campus to meet with their faculty advisor.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.