Teaching Certificate: The Science of Social and Emotional Learning Online Short Course
Northwestern Kellogg School of Management
Earliest start date
Create an enhanced learning experience with key Social and Emotional Learning skills and techniques
In an increasingly fast-changing and diverse world, the role of social and emotional skills is more important than ever. Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) provides a foundation for positive, long-term effects in children, adults, and communities. People with strong social-emotional skills are better able to cope with everyday challenges and benefit academically, professionally, and socially.
The Teaching Certificate: The Science of Social and Emotional Learning* from Northwestern University’s School of Education and Social Policy will give you the tools to effectively plan classroom experiences that promote self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship-building, and decision-making through equity and trauma-informed lens. Throughout this online short course, you’ll learn how SEL can help mitigate stress, anxiety, and trauma while promoting well-being and improved social awareness. With an in-depth look at the key concepts of SEL, you’ll learn how to enhance the teaching and learning experience in your classroom practices.
Over six weeks, you’ll develop a plan to implement SEL techniques in your educational context as you work towards earning a certificate of completion from a highly ranked education school.
* This online short course does not constitute licensure.
An Online Education That Sets You Apart
This Kellogg School of Management online program is delivered in collaboration with online education provider GetSmarter. Join a growing community of global professionals, and benefit from the opportunity to:
- Gain verifiable and relevant competencies and earn invaluable recognition from an international selection of universities, entirely online and in your own time.
- Enjoy a personalized, people-mediated online learning experience created to make you feel supported at every step.
- Experience a flexible but structured approach to online education as you plan your learning around your life to meet weekly milestones.
Visit the course page to find out more about upcoming session dates, program prices, and more:
This Course Is for You if You Want To:
- Integrate social awareness and relationship-building techniques into your teaching practices.
- Help all students cope with challenges and thrive academically, emotionally, and socially.
- Plan classroom experiences that promote self-awareness and self-management.
You’ll Walk Away With:
- A fundamental understanding of Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) concepts, from an equitable and trauma-informed perspective.
- In-depth knowledge of SEL’s ability to reduce stress, anxiety, and trauma, and promote well-being, relationships, and social awareness.
- The tools and techniques to promote SEL in your classroom for an enhanced learning experience.
- A SEL integration plan to apply directly within your educational context.
Throughout this online short course, you will work through the following modules:
- Module 1: Introducing Social and Emotional Learning (SEL)
Explore the building blocks of modern SEL.
- Module 2: Stress, Anxiety, and Trauma
Discover how SEL promotes well-being.
- Module 3: Self-Awareness and Self-Management
Explore how self-awareness and self-management can transform teaching and learning.
- Module 4: Social Awareness and Relationship-Building
Explore how social awareness and relationship-building can transform teaching and learning.
- Module 5: Decision-Making
Explore how responsible decision-making protocols can transform teaching and learning.
- Module 6: SEL in Every Classroom: Every Lesson, Every Day
Synthesize the SEL skills you have learned to create an enhanced teaching and learning experience.
Please note that module titles and their contents are subject to change during course development.