Bachelor in Behavioral Science
Dobbs Ferry, USA
Distance Learning, On-Campus
Full time, Part time
USD 18,934 / per year *
Earliest start date
* for the 2019-2020 academic year
If you want to broaden your major field to include both Psychology and Sociology, Mercy College offers a multidisciplinary major in Behavioral Science.
Specializations are also available in Community Health, Gerontology and Health Services Management. The program provides a combination of structure and flexibility with 4 required courses and 8 elective courses. When selecting major elective courses, a student may tailor the program to his or her particular interests and career goals.
The Behavioral Science major is a very feasible choice of major for transfer students, as it is possible that classes you may have already taken will count toward either required or elective courses. Additionally, the program offers many opportunities for career development through credit-earning internships at a variety of NYC area worksites.
By the end of this program, students should be able to:
- Construct a coherent explanation of major theoretical paradigms and major concepts in psychology and sociology.
- Identify, and compare quantitative and qualitative methods, research designs, and basic statistical tools during social research.
- Explain how the study of social class, ethnicity, gender, age, race, and religion can facilitate cultural competencies focusing on how the individual develops in the family, school, work, and community.
- Apply psychological and sociological principles, theories, and research to personal, cultural, and organizational situations.
Mercy College's Bachelor of Science program in Behavioral Science is designed for students who wish to broaden their major field to include both psychology and sociology.
The Behavioral Science major provides a lifetime's worth of useful insights and information about how individuals behave at home, at school, in the workplace, and in the community. This helps to prepare a student for any job or occupation involving people in multiple settings, including education, human services, business, government, and law enforcement.
Behavioral Science B.S. Curriculum
- General Liberal Arts and Sciences
- General Education Requirements 60 Credits
- Major Concentration
- Behavioral Science 36 Credits
- Open Electives 24 Credits
Total of 120 Credits
Students who choose the major concentration in behavioral science must complete:
- BHSC 244 Social Psychology
- BHSC 226 Computers Social/Behavioral Sciences
- BHSC 348 Methodology Social/Behavioral Sciences
- BHSC 426 Classics Social/Behavioral Sciences
eight elective courses selected under advisement from the major offerings in psychology and/ or sociology numbered 200 and above.
At least two major courses in psychology and two major courses in sociology must be completed in residence at Mercy College. BHSC 370 Statistics for the Social and Behavioral Sciences is recommended for students planning to attend graduate school. BHSC/ PSYN/ SOCL 399 Internship is recommended.
The Behavioral Science major offers students an in-depth study of human behavior, preparing you for a career in education, health services management, gerontology or counseling.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.