MS in International Relations and Business
Kogod School of Business Online
12 - 18 months
USD 69,192 / per credit
Request info *
Earliest start date
01 Oct 2023
* all applications due at this time
The skills-based MS in International Relations and Business curriculum is designed to promote an advanced understanding of how the global economy, policy environment, and business strategy function collectively.
Why get an MS in International Relations and Business at Kogod?
Global Immersion Experience
Students gain global exposure during an in-person immersion experience in an international business hub. The immersion allows students to witness global business in action and learn about multinational corporations. Immersion themes and site visits vary by location. During the immersion, students:
- Collaborate with classmates on group projects.
- Visit businesses and organizations.
- Explore the culture of the host city.
Connections in the Nation's Policy Hub
- MS in International Relations and Business students benefit from the flexibility of an online program while still being able to take advantage of American University’s location in Washington, DC—home to some of the world’s most prominent international organizations.
- After graduation, students join the extensive alumni network from both the Kogod School of Business and the School of International Service. Our dedicated career services team helps connect students with local and global organizations as well as with alumni who work at top organizations worldwide.
- Designed in partnership between the top-ranked School of International Service and the AACSB-accredited Kogod School of Business, the MS in International Relations and Business program features a curriculum that focuses on the intersection of business, foreign policy, and international affairs.
Practice Makes Perfect
Throughout the online program, students will have the opportunity to gain real-life experience working for a DC-based company that aligns with their career goals. Working virtually as pro-bono consultants, students develop close relationships with local companies to help them grow and adapt to changing markets while building key skills that will give them a leg up in the job market.
This past spring and summer, six groups of students—from first-year undergraduates to second-year MBA students—worked alongside six growing small businesses in the DC area through the Kogod in Practice initiative to help these companies solve real business problems. Learn more about their experience in the initiative and how they produced results for their clients in our article here.
Career-Advancing International Business Skills
The online master’s in international relations and business program is designed to provide professionals in business, foreign policy, and nonprofit fields with practical business strategies to help their organizations make effective multinational decisions and navigate the global economy. Those with a business background will learn to apply skills with an understanding of international cultures and contexts. In contrast, international affairs professionals will learn to approach issues from a business perspective.
You'll have two electives to further specialize in your area of interest. You'll be able to choose from
- International Finance
- Business insights through analytics
- Management of organizations and human capital
- Marketing management.
- By pursuing a Master's in International Relations and Business, students can gain a unique perspective on how to apply their business skills to a global context.
- This program is ideal for those who want to expand their career opportunities beyond their home country and work on a global scale.
- Students will learn about the intricacies of international trade, diplomacy, and the global economy. They will also develop a deep understanding of cultural differences and how they affect business practices.
- With this knowledge, graduates will be well-equipped to work on international assignments, negotiate with foreign partners, and even influence global policy.
- The program's emphasis on international relations and business will give students a competitive edge and prepare them for a successful career in the global marketplace.
Program Tuition Fee
Graduates of the program can work:
- Business Policy
- Foreign Commercial Service
- Foreign Commercial Policy