Master of Science in Applied Economics
Johns Hopkins University, Advanced Academic Programs
1 - 2 year
Request info *
Earliest start date
* Applications are accepted year-round. However, it is recommended that students submit all of their application materials at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the semester (international students should apply at least 3 months before the semester starts).
The MS in Applied Economics Program develops skill in economic reasoning, and in constructing and estimating economic models through the use of econometrics and other quantitative techniques. This is accomplished by a rigorous and demanding curriculum and a talented and dedicated staff of instructors.
The degree can be pursued at a part-time or a full-time pace. All undergraduate majors are welcome.
Applied Economics students tailor their own course of study and can pursue any of the following areas, or mix and match:
- Public Policy
- Financial Economics and the Macroeconomy
- International Economics and Development
- Spatial Economics (also available online)
- Environmental Economics (also available online)
- Health Economics (also available online)
- Economics of National Security
- Quantitative Methods
Students must complete all academic work in a master’s degree or certificate program within five years.
The five-year span is calculated from the start of the first course that counts toward the degree (including time spent on continuous enrollment). Continuous enrollment does not stop or extend the time limitation requirement. This time limit includes any courses taken at another Johns Hopkins school/division that have been approved to count toward the degree or certificate. If necessary, students may request from their program committee an extension of time to complete their program beyond the five-year limitation.
If an extension is granted, it will be communicated in a letter, and the five-year limit increased by the time included in the extension. An extension may be granted for a semester up to a full year, and in rare circumstances for two years.