Introduction to Cyber Security Course - The Open University
USD 89 / per course *
Earliest start date
* you can learn it for free or upgrade the course and have extra benefits for $89
Discover essential cybersecurity knowledge and skills, and learn how you can better protect your digital life.
Explore the world of cybersecurity and develop the skills needed to stay safe
Modern life depends on online services, so having a better understanding of cybersecurity threats is vital.
In this course, guided by Cory Doctorow, you’ll learn how to recognise online security threats that could harm you and explore the steps you can take to minimise your risk.
The course will improve your online safety in the context of the wider world, introducing concepts like malware, trojan virus, network security, cryptography, identity theft, and risk management.
The course is supported by the UK Government’s National Cyber Security Programme, is GCHQ Certified Training and IISP accredited.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Explain basic cybersecurity terminology; have skills for keeping up to date on cybersecurity issues, and be able to identify information assets.
- Describe basic authentication mechanisms; have skills to improve their password security, and be aware of alternative authentication methods.
- Identify main malware types; awareness of different malware propagation methods; and skills for preventing malware infections.
- Describe cryptography terminology; be able to use cryptography for email; be aware of applications of cryptography.
- Demonstrate understanding of firewalls, virtual private networks and network intrusion detection and prevention technologies.
- Describe legal and regulatory issues relating to cybersecurity, and understand how to recover from security failures.
- Apply basic risk analysis and management techniques.
Who will you learn with?
Arosha K. Bandara
Arosha is a software engineer with research interests in engineering adaptive systems that can improve information security. He also teaches network security at the OU.
Who developed the course?
The Open University
The Open University (OU) is the largest academic institution in the UK and a world leader in flexible distance learning, with a mission to be open to people, places, methods and ideas.
Learn on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
Join a global classroom
Map your progress