Online Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCHE)
Flexible Learning with Falmouth University
Falmouth, United Kingdom
GBP 3,295 *
11 Sep 2023
Earliest start date
* includes an acceptance fee of £250 that is required to secure your place
This PGCHE responds to the growing focus of Higher Education on developing excellence in teaching and learning, especially teaching and learning that is not solely concerned with traditional face-to-face delivery but instead combines this with the digital advantages of e-learning.
It will develop your practice in line with the rise in blended learning and equip you with the relevant skills, knowledge, and reflective expertise to support you within your role in both digital and face-to-face teaching and learning contexts. For those solely teaching face-to-face, it will both help you develop your current face-to-face teaching and introduce you to blended learning and the widely acknowledged benefits so that you consider incorporating this into your own practice.
You will engage with your peers and scholarship to ensure you develop as a creative, confident, competent, and committed teaching and learning practitioner that is able to learn from both your own work and examples of best practice.
Delivered online, you will benefit from our ‘learning by doing approach and discover through your own learning experience, what it’s like to learn and teach, both face-to-face and online.
Who is this course for?
As the sector places more and more emphasis on the student experience, effective teaching and learning practice is taking center stage, creating a need for both academics and support staff that are confident and qualified in the teaching they deliver.
This flexible route allows you to gain an internationally recognized award through a study that can be undertaken whenever and wherever you are.
- Be beginning a teaching career within Higher Education and wish to gain an award that is increasingly considered mandatory for applicants to jobs in the sector
- Be moving into Higher Education from industry
- Be relatively new to teaching at a university
- Be inexperienced in e-learning and wishing to gain the knowledge and skills required to teach through blended and online approaches
- Be an experienced teacher looking for the time, space, and support to reflect upon and evaluate your practice
- Be working in a support/subsidiary role whose work is increasing student-facing with elements of teaching
- Be teaching in an institution outside the UK, looking to gain an internationally recognized qualification
In this course, you will have the opportunity to:
- Push the limits of your practice by being allowed to try ideas and new initiatives, and take risks within a safe, supportive environment
- Become more confident in your practice and your ability to respond to the rapidly shifting HE sector and its growing emphasis on the student experience
- Benefit from studying online, where your peers may be from different countries, disciplines, and backgrounds, allowing you to interact with new perspectives, and ideas of teaching and learning practice
- Develop your skills as a reflective practitioner, and your ability to innovate, and enrich your current practice in supporting student learning, by critically evaluating it in the light of pedagogical research, scholarship, and policy
- Enhance your inclusive and flexible approach to teaching/supporting student learning
- Gain the confidence, knowledge, and pedagogical fluency to be able to articulate why you are choosing to do what you’re doing to support student learning and to help ensure that your colleagues, students, and managers respect and accept your approach
- Develop your knowledge and skills in using online and blended learning delivery to support and enhance student learning
- Develop your own supportive learning community and potential international professional networks of teaching and learning practitioners,
- Gain the knowledge to be able to prepare applications for professional recognition from various professional bodies across different countries. Eg. a portfolio for Fellowship recognition (FHEA) from the Higher Education Academy (HEA) in the UK
- Gain an internationally recognized qualification for teaching and learning in Higher Education
- Enhance and maintain your confidence, continuing professional development (CPD) in an informed and critically reflective teaching practice within a fast-changing sector
The PGCHE has been designed in consultation with education professionals and external bodies for professional teaching and learning practice, such as the Higher Education Academy (HEA), to support critically informed and reflective practitioners able to shape the future of the sector.
You will need to complete two 30-credit modules (60 credits in total). Both modules are compulsory and must be passed to complete the award.
|Supporting Student Learning|
|Developing Flexible Learning Environments|
How you study
The study is entirely online through our online learning platform. Within Canvas, you can access everything you need to study on the course in one place, enabling you to:
- Access all course materials
- Participate in individual and group learning activities and class discussions
- Communicate with and receive feedback and guidance from your E-Learning Tutors
- Upload and share examples of your developing practice
- See information about your progress through the course
- Receive assignments, submit assessments, get grades and feedback on your work
- Network with other students
- Access university support services
The PGCHE is a 30-week (part-time) award, consisting of two modules. Learning is comprised of:
- Online presentations to introduce key concepts
- Guided online E-seminars, forums, discussions, and activities to facilitate interaction and dialogue
- Self/ peer and tutor feedback and evaluation on teaching and learning practice
- Independent study and ongoing engagement with pedagogical theory and research to develop your practice
- Practical assignments, for example, a micro-teaching session and the development and use of an online learning resource
- Keeping a reflective journal on your ongoing development in teaching and learning
- Experimenting and evaluating the use of e-learning tools
- Individual/ group tutorials
- Group working
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.