Online Masters Degree in Writing for Script & Screen
Flexible Learning with Falmouth University
Falmouth, United Kingdom
GBP 11,795 *
11 Sep 2023
Earliest start date
* scholarships and funding available. Early bird discount £1,000
An online course with optional face-to-face workshops.
The course is designed to equip you with the writing and professional skills, industry know-how and experience of collaborative working, to meet the demands of a constantly evolving industry. It aims to create quick-thinking and adaptable graduates who stand out from the crowd and understand what it takes to work across different screen industries.
Flexible in nature, the course allows you to either develop your portfolio across different platforms or focus on the genres and mediums of interest to you. The course is delivered using a combination of live briefs, independent research, and collaborative projects.
You will become part of a global community of scriptwriters and academics who write for films, TV, games, radio, and theatre, with networks across the creative industries. Working in this way ensures the relevance of the course to current practice.
Who is this course for?
Whether your interest is in writing for cinema, television, video games, or digital media, this course will help you develop and enhance your skills.
The course is suitable for applicants who are:
- Graduates who would like to expand their specialist knowledge in writing for the screen
- Practitioners in the screen industries who are keen to develop their writing skills
- Interested in continuing their professional development or wish to enhance their career in teaching and research
- Writers looking to acquire the skills to adapt existing work for the screen
- Opportunity to develop your career through a unique blend of creative practice, professional focus, and academic knowledge
- Explore writing for both digital platforms and more established screen media
- Join an international network of writers and academics
To graduate from the MA you must complete four 30-credit modules and one 60-credit project (180 credits in total).
Core modules Credits
- Storytelling for Script and Screen (30 credits)
- Individual Script Development Workshop (30 credits)
- Writers' Room: Collaborative Script Development (30 credits)
- Screen Industries: Professional Development (30 credits)
- Final Major Project (60 credits)
How you study
The modes of study available for this course are:
- Study online without attending any face-to-face workshops.
- Study online and attend optional biannual residential workshops, held in various locations, such as the UK, the Middle East, or Asia.
An exact number of days, length, and format will vary for each residential event in order to maximize value to students. Falmouth aims to provide details on any opportunities around four months in advance, to give students plenty of time to confirm their place and make arrangements. Although not compulsory, attendance is strongly encouraged.
Guided learning activities consist of:
- Key concepts introduced through concise online presentations
- Online critiques to test idea and assumptions, and to receive feedback from tutors and peers
- Class and small group discussions and critiques, to facilitate dialogue and interaction
- Individual and group tutorials
- Peer feedback and self-evaluation
- Independent study
Scholarships and Funding
Financing your studies
As a student of Falmouth University you are eligible to apply for:
- Alumni discount (15% to Falmouth alumni)
- Falmouth Flexible Bursaries
- Early Bird Discount – up to £1,000 (as per application deadlines)
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.