Bachelor of Science in Global Hospitality and Tourism
Eastern Kentucky University
Full time, Part time
USD 434 / per credit *
Earliest start date
* $250 per credit hour for active duty military
One of the largest industries in the world, hospitality, and tourism is continually growing and evolving. Whether you want to work abroad or are passionate about showcasing exceptional experiences in your own city or state, EKU’s 100% online global hospitality and tourism program provides you with a deep understanding of all aspects of this vibrant industry. The program prepares culturally competent and technically advanced graduates for key roles in a variety of careers with the adaptability and foresight needed to keep the industry moving forward.
Format: 100% online
Credit Hours: 120 hours
Transfer Credits Accepted: Up to 90 hours*
Career Options: Conference event/services manager, culinary food tour director, food service manager, lodging manager, attractions supervisor, cruise director, director of catering, ecotourism, winery/microbrewery tourism
Gain a competitive edge with a concentration
As part of the global hospitality and tourism program, you can choose between two specialty concentrations, giving you a competitive edge in the job market. Options include:
Translate your love of food, spirits, and travel into a rewarding career opportunity. A vital component of the tourism experience, gastronomic tourism explores food and beverage as the motivating factors for travel. The program offers a unique curriculum that provides a strong background in culinary and beverage management and prepares graduates to secure employment at the local, state, or national levels or abroad.
- Gastronomic Tourism
- Bourbon, Beer & Spirits
- Culture & Consumption of Wine
- Gastronomic Tour Development
- Food Culture and Systems
Managing the environmental, social, and economic health of destinations is critical to the long-term success of the tourism industry. Gain essential skills for creating sustainable development solutions and advancing tourism destinations and communities while balancing environmental, economic, and socio-cultural effects.
- Sustainable Hospitality
- Mutigenerational Programming
- Sustainable Global Practices
- Universal Sustainable Design
- Promoting Hospitable Experiences
What sets our program apart?
Prepare to take on a variety of rewarding roles in the ever-evolving hospitality and tourism industry. EKU’s curriculum blends academic and professional preparation through course topics such as hospitality and tourism essentials; sociocultural impacts of hospitality; hospitality and tourism analysis; and management of recreation services.
- Accelerated 8-week terms
- 6 start dates per year
- Generous credit transfer policy
- Unique concentration option in gastronomic tourism
- Concentration option in sustainable hospitality with specialized sustainable hospitality courses
- Reduced tuition for active-duty military members
- Free online tutoring and career services assistance
- Dedicated advisors who provide personalized graduation plans
- Ranked by U.S. News & World Report among the best universities offering online degrees
Why choose EKU?
EKU is a regionally accredited, brick-and-mortar university that is ranked among the nation's best colleges and has been educating students for more than a century. EKU has received numerous honors, including being named one of the best online colleges in the nation and one of the most veteran-friendly campuses.
Scholarships and Funding
Grants are a type of financial support that does not need to be repaid. Many grants are based on financial need alone, however, some grants also take academic performance, academic degree program, and/or residence status into consideration.
Grants are available at the federal and state level.
Private student loans are not funded or subsidized by the federal government; instead, they are funded by banks, credit unions, or other types of lenders.
The bank or lender – not the federal government – sets interest rates, loan limits, terms, and conditions of private student loans. Your ability to qualify for and borrow a private student loan may be based on numerous factors that can include your credit history, whether or not you choose to have a co-signer, your co-signer’s credit history, your choice of school, and your course of study. These loans do not offer the flexible repayment terms or borrower protections featured by federal student loans.
Employer Tuition Reimbursement
Employer tuition reimbursement includes a variety of employer-sponsored programs to help employees pay for college. In many cases, the funds received from these programs will be excluded from income and are tax-free.
Employee tuition reimbursement programs are typically governed by an employer’s human resources department. Employers may provide up to $5,250 per year in employer education assistance benefits for undergraduate or graduate courses.
Your employer may require you to attain a particular grade or to complete a program in order to obtain reimbursement. The employer may also require that you remain employed for a period of time after completing the course of study. Finally, your employer may require you to provide receipts or other substantiation of the educational expenses.
For information on veteran and active duty military services and offerings, contact the EKU Office of Military and Veteran Affairs at 859.622.2345. EKU is repeatedly recognized by both Military Times and GI Jobs as a leader among Military Friendly® Schools and we look forward to helping you reach your goals.
These scholarships are awarded by an organization other than the government or university. They are available from a number of groups, organizations, and entities nationwide. These scholarships can be general in nature or very specialized and tied to the type of work you would be doing after graduation.
If you receive an outside scholarship, you must notify your financial aid office so the award can be properly reported as part of your total aid package. Failure to report awards can result in the award not being accepted or a portion of the funds having to be repaid due to overpayment.
Departmental scholarships are awarded by specific EKU departments. The types, size, and criteria for these scholarships will vary by department.
If you receive a departmental scholarship, you must notify your financial aid office so the award can be properly reported as part of your total aid package. Failure to report awards can result in the award not being accepted or a portion of the funds having to be repaid due to overpayment.
EKU is fortunate to have hundreds of generous individuals and organizations that have donated scholarship money for current EKU students from a variety of backgrounds, situations, and interests. These are referred to as EKU Foundation Scholarships. Due to the number of these scholarships and the varying criteria for them, EKU has developed a single Foundation Scholarship application.
After completing the application, you will be considered for any foundation scholarship for which you are eligible. Criteria for these scholarships vary and can include academics, major, interests, place of residence, and more.
Core Courses --- 24
- GHT 201 --- Hospitality & Tourism Essentials --- 3
- GHT 310 --- Be Our Guest --- 3
- GHT 320 --- Sociocultural Impacts of Hospitality --- 3
- GHT 425W --- Hospitality & Tourism Analysis --- 3
- GHT 450 --- Global Hospitality Law --- 3
- GHT 499 --- Hospitality and Tourism Practicum --- 3
- EHS 230 --- Recreational Health --- 3
- REC 401 --- Management of Recreation Services --- 3
Concentration --- 15
Select one of the following concentrations:
Gastronomic Tourism --- 15
- GTO 210 --- Gastronomic Tourism
- GTO 320 --- Bourbon, Beer & Spirits
- GTO 325 --- Culture & Consumption of Wine
- GTO 410 --- Gastronomic Tour Development
- NFA 447 --- Food Culture and Systems
Sustainable Hospitality --- 15
- SHO 341 --- Sustainable Hospitality
- SHO 410 --- Mutigenerational Programming
- SHO 420 --- Sustainable Global Practices
- SHO 460 --- Universal Sustainable Design
- SHO 475 --- Promoting Hospitable Experiences
Supporting Course Requirements – Both Concentrations --- 15
- GBU 201 --- International Business --- 3
- ECO 230 --- Principles of Microeconomics --- 3
- HLS 260 --- Disaster Preparedness & Response --- 3
- MGT 301 --- Principles of Management --- 3
- MKT 301 --- Principles of Marketing --- 3
- POL 376 --- Public Human Resources --- 3
- STA 215 --- Introduction to Statistical Reasoning --- 3
Electives --- 29
Total Hours --- 120
Program Tuition Fee
Global Hospitality and Tourism
According to the Department of Labor and Statistics, the need for hospitality and tourism is increasing steadily. A food travel industry report published by the World Food Travel Association identified that “96% of expert respondents have a positive outlook about the growth of the food travel industry in the next two years”. The Travel, Tourism, and Hospitality Industry Association (selectuse.org) reported that the US travel and tourism industry generated over $1.6 trillion in economic output in 2017, supporting 7.8 million jobs in the US.
Meeting, Convention & Event Planners
- Median Annual Salary: $50,600 per year / $24 per hour
- Number of Jobs: 138,600
- Typical Entry-Level Education: Bachelor's Degree
Food Service Managers
- Median Annual Salary: $55,3200 per year / $26 per hour
- Number of Jobs: 352,600
- Typical Entry-Level Education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Median Annual Salary: $54,430 per year / $26 per hour
- Number of Jobs: 57,200
- Typical Entry-Level Education: High School Diploma or equivalent
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.