Diploma in Office Administration – Health Services (Online)
Full time, Part time
CAD 2,721 / per year *
Earliest start date
* tuition 2 semesters Canadian students; CAD 15,693 - tuition 2 semesters International students
- Program Code: 2003
- School: The Business School
- Credential: Ontario College Diploma
- Program Type: Post-secondary program
- Program Length: 2 years/ 4 semesters
- Location: Online
If the idea of assisting doctors, contributing to the health care system and working in today’s dynamic medical environments appeals to you, join the action by attending the Office Administration – Health Services program at Centennial College.
A well-run and efficient office within a medical practice, clinic or other healthcare setting is vital to the success of the practice and to the quality of healthcare it provides. As an Office Administration graduate in the healthcare sector, you'll be equipped with the organizational and clinical support skills to ensure patients receive the highest quality of care and service.
Faculty in the Office Administration – Health Services program is experienced individuals who guide you through industry-related training that will not only teach you specialized skills required to be part of a healthcare team but also core competencies transferable across all industries.
The Office Administration – Health Services program will help you develop essential healthcare support skills such as:
- Medical terminology
- Anatomy for health administration
- Medical transcription
- Medical office procedures
- Electronic health record management
- Computerized OHIP billing
- Diagnostic and lab procedures
A two-day-per-week work placement at some of Toronto’s prestigious hospitals and healthcare clinics will allow you to put those skills to use in real-life experiences before you graduate.
- COMM-160/161 College Communication 1
- GNED General Education Elective
- KEYS-101 Keyboarding 1
- OAGN-113 Office Administration Technology 1
- OAGN-115 Introduction to Word Processing
- OAGN-118 Document Review & Proofreading
- OAGN-124 Financial Procedures
- COMM-170/171 College Communication 2
- KEYS-102 Keyboarding 2
- OAGN-116 Word Processing Applications
- OAGN-122 Career Readiness
- OAGN-123 Office Administration Technology 2
- OAGN-125 Office Procedures and Communications
- OAGN-127 Machine Transcription
- GNED-500 Global Citizenship: From Social Analysis to Social Action
- KEYS-103 Keyboarding 3
- OAGN-261 Integrated Software Applications
- OAME-236 Medical Terminology 1
- OAME-256 Anatomy for Health Administration
- OAME-257 Medical Office Procedures
- OAME-258 Medical Machine Transcription 1
- GNED General Education Elective
- KEYS-104 Keyboarding 4
- OAGN-262 Field Placement
- OAME-237 Medical Terminology 2
- OAME-259 Medical Office Assisting/Billing
- Learning allows for opportunities to work on projects and to connect with experienced, knowledgeable faculty.
- You will master essential automated office systems such as word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation software.
- Because Office Administration – Health Services faculty members have business world experience and up-to-date knowledge of current trends, senior administrative health-care environments and related technology requirements, you will greatly expand your skills portfolio.
- You will advance your career opportunities by earning a diploma that reflects high standards of learning.
Program Vocational Learning Outcomes
Program Vocational Learning Outcomes describe what graduates of the program have demonstrated they can do with the knowledge and skills they have achieved during their studies. The outcomes are closely tied to the needs of the workplace. Through assessment (e.g., assignments and tests), students verify their ability to reliably perform these outcomes before graduating.
- Apply scheduling, task coordination, and organizational skills to facilitate the completion of tasks and meet deadlines in the medical environment.
- Establish and maintain data management systems to organize electronic and paper records for the medical environment.
- Coordinate the organizing, processing, and responding to electronic and paper communications to facilitate the flow of information in the medical environment.
- Produce accurate financial and billing records for the medical environment within a specified time frame by compiling information and using the appropriate software.
- Produce accurate medical correspondence and reports by a specific deadline using available computer technology as well as by applying recording, editing, and language skills.
- Use effective interpersonal skills in the medical environment to assist in the completion of individual and team tasks, ensure effective client service, and promote the image of the organization.
- Troubleshoot and show initiative in the creation and production of accurate, organized medical documents within a specified time frame.
- Provide technical support and training related to computer software to others in the medical environment as required.
- Use the Internet and its tools in a medical environment to enhance communication and business opportunities.
- Demonstrate administrative skills to enhance the effective operation of the workplace.
- Medical Office Assistant
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Medical Receptionist/Office Administrator
- Medical Office Manager
- Patient Care Coordinator
- Medical secretary
- Medical office administrator
- Clinic assistant
- Health office administrator
Start with a diploma, and end with a degree! Successful graduates of this Office Administration – Health Services program will have the opportunity to apply their credits toward further study at the degree level.
Please note that each partner pathway has a specific minimum grade requirement in order to qualify for transfer credits, which are assessed by the partner institution.
Areas of Employment
- Doctor's offices
- First aid
- Medical laboratories
- Veterinary Clinic
- Physiotherapy offices
- Health care related offices
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.