Master of Arts in Teaching Middle Grades: 5-9 Social Studies
Campbellsville University Online
12 - 18 months
Full time, Part time
Earliest start date
Transition into a middle school teacher by learning the fundamental teaching, management and research skills necessary to excel in your career.
Next Start Date:
Credit Hours: 30-36
The online Master of Arts in Teaching Middle Grades: 5-9 Social Studies from Campbellsville University was designed for those who wish to transition into a teaching career and already have a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field. The program provides you with the skills needed to work with diverse learners, apply effective teaching methods and understand relevant topics in student growth and development. You will receive the certification required to teach your chosen subject while learning the modern trends that are evolving education.
The program teaches the cognitive, physical and social-emotional growth of children and adolescents; a variety of instructional approaches, materials, and comprehensive curriculum to support student learning in literacy; and the practical skills in student assessment required for curriculum planning in the classroom. The online M.A.T. degree also covers the research methods and procedures used in education, effective management skills and the needs and nature of diverse populations.
In this track we help you focus your degree in:
- Social Studies
A graduate practicum/seminar is required for the degree. The course gives you an opportunity to apply your best instructional practice in a field-based setting with cognitive coaching from colleagues. In addition, students, including those taking the Option 6 route, who are not currently teachers must complete 16 weeks of student teaching in a middle school classroom.
The program’s faculty incorporate their real-world experiences into the curriculum. Campbellsville University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). NCATE, the National Council for the Accreditation for Teacher Education, has also accredited our online master’s of teaching in secondary education. The fully online degree offers the flexibility and convenience of being able to complete coursework when it best fits your busy personal and professional schedules.
The online master’s of teaching middle grades consists of 30 to 36 credit hours, depending on if you are completing the Option 6 program. Sixteen weeks of student teaching are required for traditional students, and Option 6 students will complete fieldwork within their own classroom under the supervision of an assigned mentor. There are four tracks to choose from English, mathematics, science and social studies.
Required Courses (27 credit hours)
Take all of the following:
- ED 604: Introduction to Teaching
- ED 500: Human Growth & Development
- ED 606: Educational Technology
- ED 704: Nature and Needs of Diverse Populations
- ED 660: Formative Assessment & Intervention for All Students
- ED 656: Effective Management Skills for Today’s Educators
- ED 659: Content Literacy
- ED 605: Research Methods and Procedures
- ED 607: Graduate Practicum/Seminar
- ED 608: Student Teaching*
* For students who are not currently employed as a teacher of record in an appropriate level classroom, or for Option 6 candidates who do not student teach.
Social Studies Certification Track (3-6 credit hours)
Students are required to complete 20-40 field hours in the following course:
- SSE 554: Teaching Social Studies in Middle and Secondary Schools
Careers in Teaching
Upon completion of the M.A.T. degree online, you will be able to pursue a rewarding career as a middle school teacher. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), middle school teachers earned a median salary of $57,720 per year as of May 2017. The BLS predicts that employment for middle school teachers will grow by 8 percent through 2026.
In order to apply to Campbellsville University’s accredited online master’s of teaching in secondary education, prospective students must submit or complete the following:
- Complete the online application.
- Official college transcripts with a complete record of all courses attempted from each college or university attended.
- Must have at least a bachelor’s degree in the field for which they wish to teach.
- Passing scores on Subject Area Praxis and Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (CASE)–(Reading 156 – Writing 162 – Math 150).