Introduction to Teaching English as a Second Language (Free Online Course With Certificate) Alison Free Online Learning
This course lays out the five stages of second language acquisition. We provide practical tips to show you how to help learners reach these stages in your classroom. We also examine the needs of adult English as a second language (ESL) learners and compare various learning styles. We then describe activities and exercises that can improve students’ English language abilities. Sign up to acquire a skill that opens doors worldwide.
This is a free online course with a certificate. Interested? Simply click the button and start today.
This Free Online Course Includes:
- 1.5-3 Hours of Learning
- CPD Accreditation
- Final Assessment
All Alison courses are free to enrol, study and complete. To successfully complete this Certificate course and become an Alison Graduate, you need to achieve 80% or higher in each course assessment. Once you have completed this Certificate course, you have the option to acquire an official Diploma, which is a great way to share your achievement with the world.
Your Alison Certificate is:
- Ideal for sharing with potential employers
- Include it in your CV, professional social media profiles, and job applications.
- An indication of your commitment to continuously learn, upskill & achieve high results.
- An incentive for you to continue empowering yourself through lifelong learning.
Alison offers 3 types of Diplomas for completed Diploma courses:
- Digital Certificate: a downloadable Certificate in PDF format immediately available to you when you complete your purchase.
- Certificate: a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Certificate, posted to you with free shipping.
- Framed Certificate: a physical version of your officially branded and security-marked Certificate in a stylish frame, posted to you with free shipping.
Scholarships and Funding
As we are an online platform, we do not offer degrees or scholarships.
This free teaching English as a second language (TESL) course guides you through the essential learning theories and practices needed to be a qualified TESL instructor. We outline the most important contemporary adult learning theories and explain how to utilize them in an ESL lesson. The course explores the five stages of second language acquisition and shows you how to facilitate these stages in your classroom by grounding your new understanding of theory in practical lessons.
The course then identifies the needs of adult ESL learners and compares various learning styles. We provide activities and exercises that improve students’ English language abilities and explain how to prepare and conduct a lesson. We demonstrate how to create a lesson plan, particularly grammar lessons that meet the needs of ESL learners. The course covers classroom management and provides the skills you need to teach in any environment. We also show you how to set tests that meet the required standards of validity and reliability.
There are millions of people, including in English-speaking countries, who don’t speak the language but really want to. The ability to teach English can boost your career and let you make a meaningful contribution to the lives of others. People across the globe are keen to start their journey into the English-speaking world, and this course trains you to help them do so. This course suits those with a strong grasp of English who are looking to turn that skill into a career.
In this module, you will learn about the learner, Knowles's theory of Andragogy, the adult ESL learner, learning styles, stages of second language acquisition and intercultural communication.
In this module, you will learn about student comprehension. Learn also about literacy, language teaching methods, phonological processing, vocabulary development, schema activation, and syntactic processing.
Teaching and Assessing
In this module, you will learn about teaching and assessing. You will also learn about ESL classroom management, Maslow's hierarchy of needs, ESL lesson plan, teaching grammar, technology in the ESL classroom, testing and evaluation.
What You Will Learn In This Free Course
- Describe adult learning theories and utilize them in an English lesson
- Discuss and use language teaching methods in the classroom
- Outline the five stages of second language acquisition in ESL lessons
- Discuss and employ effective classroom management strategies
- Outline how to write up cogent lesson plans
- Describe grammar lessons that meet the needs of ESL learners
- Formulate effective assessments that meet the required standards of validity and reliability
Complete This CPD Accredited Course & Get Your Certificate!
Certify Your Skills
A CPD-accredited Alison Diploma/Certificate certifies the skills you’ve learned.
Stand Out From The Crowd
Add your Alison Certification to your resume and stay ahead of the competition.
Advance in Your Career
Share your Alison Certification with potential employers to show off your skills and capabilities.
Careers related to this course:
- ESL Teacher
- English Teacher