Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Fashion Product Development Academy of Art University
Learn to create and develop products that are appropriate for a brand and their target customer. You will analyze current trends, create technical drawings using both hand drawings and industry standard software, identify and source materials, and plan for production of seasonal collections.
The Fashion Product Development degree is ideal for those seeking a career as a product developer, technical designer, product manager, production manager, supply chain manager, director of production, director of product development, and more.
What We Teach
- Product Design Process
You will learn to develop style specifications for new fashion products, source raw materials, and estimate product costs for a target market. You will conduct trend research and present analysis for merchandising plans. Gain the skills needed to use the Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) to understand the many parts involved in controlling a garment from concept to materials sourcing to finished product.
- Product Line Development
Learn to develop a fashion collection. Use trend analysis and business plans to adapt products appropriate for the target customer. Students will learn to work through the process of line editing. Reviewing each style as a team evaluating cost, cost and appropriateness for the customer.
- Fabrication, Sourcing, & Production
You will refine your skills of line development and technical packages utilizing web-based PLM software. You will also focus the processes and procedures of fashion product sourcing, cost estimating techniques, methods for evaluating product constructions, and advanced knowledge of fashion manufacturing.
- Trend Forecasting
Explore the world of trend forecasting. Learn to develop the skills necessary to identify and analyze trends. Students will analyze the evolution of products and interpret the context of products to analyze and predict trends.
The BFA in Fashion Product Development encompasses the process of fashion product development that requires understanding and knowledge of the consumer, market, and trends, textiles and raw materials, product concept and line development, and sourcing and manufacturing. Drawing from their design courses, students will apply a high level design aesthetic to develop products that are appropriate for a brand and their target customers. Students will learn the hand drawing and drafting skills and the technical skills needed to produce detailed and accurate technical drawings and flat patterns using industry standard computer software. BFA graduates will be capable of working in various roles in a product development team.
VIiew full course descriptions
BFA Fashion Product Development Degree Requirements
- Minimum grade of C- in all core courses, major courses, and LA 107 Writing for the Multilingual Artist or 108 Composition for the Artist
- Minimum 2.0 GPA and the following general education requirements:
- 1 Written Communication: Composition
- 1 Written Communication: Critical Thinking
- 1 Written Communication: Context & Style
- 2 Art Historical Awareness: Western Art
- 2 Art Historical Awareness: Surveys
- 1 Historical Awareness
- 1 Cultural Ideas & Influences
- 1 Employment Communications & Practices
- 1 Fundamental Math
After above general education requirements are met, take Liberal Arts electives as needed to fulfill the Liberal Arts unit requirement.
Undergraduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Research and Concept Development
- Conduct research to advance point of view or concept
- Analyze trends and market research to develop products appropriate for target markets and consumers
- Identify changes, trends and opportunities in global fashion business, consumer and products
- Identify materials, sourcing, and manufacturing processes appropriate for product market (brand, consumer, and price point)
- Produce accurate and detailed technical drawings and flat patterns using both traditional medium and computer software
- Demonstrate proficiency in creating complete production documents utilizing design skills, technical skills and production specifications
- Develop products appropriate for a variety of fashion businesses and their target consumers
Visual Presentation Skills
- Create professional and organized presentations that reflect a point of view consistent with product and brand
- Create industry-standard production materials
- Demonstrate proficiency in industry-standard product development related tools and software
- Present and communicate trends, product concepts and details clearly and effectively in a professional format
- Work effectively in a team
Create a relevant and original portfolio and collateral materials which can be used to market themselves to the industry
Academy of Art University Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Academy of Art University will demonstrate the ability to:
- Produce a body of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in their chosen field of art and design.
- Solve creative problems within their field of art and design, including research and synthesis of technical, aesthetic, and conceptual knowledge.
- Communicate their ideas professionally and connect with their intended audience using visual, oral, and written presentation skills relevant to their field.
- Execute technical, aesthetic, and conceptual decisions based on an understanding of art and design principles.
- Evaluate work in their field, including their own work, using professional terminology.
- Recognize the influence of major cultural and aesthetic trends, both historical and contemporary, on art and design products.
- Learn the professional skills and behaviors necessary to compete in the global marketplace for art and design.
Program Tuition Fee
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.