Gain valuable insight into sustainable construction and development, and learn best practices from sustainability initiatives.
Improve your understanding of sustainable construction and development
Sustainable development meets the needs of the present by carrying out activities that do not compromise future generations’ ability to meet their own needs.
On this course, you’ll learn about the obligations and actions that play a role in the concept and practice of sustainability in construction and development.
You’ll explore the need for environmental, economic and social sustainability, and the implications for the construction industry.
You’ll learn best practices from successful sustainability initiatives, and understand the challenge of achieving sustainability in the future.
What topics will you cover?
- The complexities of sustainability in the construction and development of the built assets, together with challenges, importance, and impact of role performance.
- Environmental sustainability in construction and development of built assets, and the important roles of innovations, professionalism, ethics, culture and procurement practices and regulations.
- Economic sustainability and the roles of effective business cases, organisational size, dynamics of networks & integrated delivery; and procurement practices.
- Social sustainability in construction and development of built assets, and the roles of construction processes, outputs and outcomes on people and society.
- Lessons learned from good and best practices in sustainability, and how these could be embraced and taken-up, together with challenges and appropriate guidelines for implementation.
- Future challenges in sustainable development based on possible scenarios considering the level of success of current mitigation and adaptation measures.
Who is this accredited by?
The CPD Certification Service: This course has been accredited by the CPD Certification Service, which means it can be used to provide evidence of your continuing professional development.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of the complexities of sustainability from generic and project-specific perspectives, and the obligations of stakeholders.
- Evaluate the environmental considerations of sustainability and their implications on construction processes and practices.
- Evaluate economic considerations of sustainability and their implications on construction processes and practices.
- Evaluate social considerations of sustainability and their implications on construction processes and practices.
- Demonstrate knowledge of lessons learned from good practices of sustainability initiatives, and better understand how these could be implemented in projects.
- Explain the nature of the task of attaining sustainability in the built environment in future, considering the most likely future scenario of the sustainable development agenda.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone interested in sustainable construction and development, but may be of particular interest to those working in or studying construction and the wider built environment.
Who will you learn with?
Associate Director - Academy, and looking forward to participating with learners construction-related and broader topics of discussion.
Dorte Rich Joergensen
Dr Jørgensen is an Associate within SNC-Lavalin's Atkins business. As a chartered engineer with 30 years’ experience, she provides sustainability leadership across the construction industry.
My name's Carolyn and I'm the Training Coordinator at the CIOB. I'm responsible for many of the logistics involved in delivering our online programmes, as well as our face to face courses.
Who developed the course?
Chartered Institute of Building Academy
Working with industry and for industry, CIOB Academy helps support your employees on their development paths and make sure your company meets industry demands now and in the future.
London South Bank University
London South Bank University is one of London’s oldest universities, and since 1892 has been providing vocationally-relevant, accredited and professionally recognised education.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.