A one-year, full-time distance course in scriptwriting for commercial feature films and drama series.
MasterClass Story is an exclusive one-year, full-time distance course for you with proven knowledge and professional experience as a scriptwriter. It provides unique opportunities, knowledge, inspiration, tools and techniques to sharpen your storytelling and advance your screenwriting career, with lectures and personal tutoring from some of the foremost and most renowned teachers in the American film industry (Hollywood).
The course encompasses:
- Lectures and personal tutoring by acclaimed Hollywood teachers
- In-depth studies of concept and character development
- Tools and techniques that enhance the narrative and boost your efficiency
- Building your platform as a professional screenwriter
- Promote and pitch your script and ideas using professional sales argumentation
- Three multi-day meetings – where course management, students and teachers convene for workshops and seminars
MasterClass Story is held entirely in English. The course utilizes digital communication platforms such as Zoom, Dropbox, Slack and Skype.
- How to build powerful and captivating stories
- Create and present script concepts for feature film and drama series
- Analyse idea concepts and form clear loglines
- Build a powerful story with writing techniques developed by Hollywood's top dramatists and taught at the world leading film schools USC and UCLA
- Create themes, living characters and dramaturgical structures that can captivate a universal audience.
- Create memorable, visually strong and dramatic scenes
- Write to reach the person to judge your script
- Practical techniques for building the various parts of your story
Promotion and pitch
- Presentation and argumentation techniques developed by professionals
- Feedback from fellow course participants and active professional film producers
- Build your platform as a professional screenwriter
- Practice and perfect our professional pitch
After the course, the participant should be able to:
- transform ideas into a commercially viable story
- write a script for feature film/drama series on demand
- write a pilot section and create a pitch bible for a drama series
- master classical script structure, theme, character development, conflicts, etc.
- shape an outline from an idea
- analyze own and others' script
- sell an idea conceived by the use of pitch, loglines and one-pagers.
- combine different genres
- master the rewrite process: to receive and draw constructive learning from feedback
- adapt to the film industry's structure and it´s specific expectations and demands on various professions
Some necessary tools you learn
Learn to communicate subtly through subtitles — what isn’t said or visible.
Learn the importance of a strong midpoint in the story
Point of view
Get unique knowledge in how you can work with the so-called POV (point of view) both in telling and in the actual script and how you change POV without losing the interest of the viewer or the reader who is judging your script.
Learn how you can construct the structure for powerful scenes and good transitions between them.
Learn theories how to create a unique voice for your character, that also communicates the theme effectively.
Learn how to create unforgettable characters and how you get them to convey themes from different perspectives.
Learn several theories to structure an organic plot, in which the character/characters act out of the plot and their own role as well as personality in it.
Learn different ways to make the theme or underlying issue of the story become visible.
Action vs event
Gain tools to create active characters and the motives that they base their actions on.
Format & Stil
A badly written script won’t be read by professional producers. Learn to write like a professional—and give the producer reading your script a fantastic experience so that your script can be realised!
Most stories fail in the key part known as ‘act 2’ and which the course will teach you everything about.
Get an understanding of the importance of creating a unique world for the story so that the themes of the film may be conveyed.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated March 12, 2018