Get to grips with the basics of funding a start-up and understand the process of successful financing rounds.
Understand the process of funding a start-up
Almost all startups need external financing, but new entrepreneurs rarely have training in fundraising.
On this course, you’ll learn the basics of financing a start-up. You’ll explore how important financial backing is for success and how to attract and negotiate with investors.
This course is also available in French.
What topics will you cover?
- How to identify and convince potential investors?
- How to estimate the financing need and the value of the venture?
- How to negotiate with equity investors?
- How to prepare and succeed in the post-investment phase?
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Identify the potential investors in startups and understand their decision process and their selection criteria.
- Design a sound financing plan in order to estimate the financing needs and the value of the startup, which determines the founders ‘dilution when raising equity.
- Reflect on the process and the main issues of the negotiation of agreements between founders and external investors along with successive financing rounds.
- Identify the key points to watch in order to succeed in the post-investment phase and prepare the exit.
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at entrepreneurs who are considering or preparing a financing round. It can also be useful for students of entrepreneurship or management, and to anyone wishing to get a better understanding of the actors, processes and consequences of a financing round.
General knowledge in business will help, though it is not required.
This course is taught by a French team, but all course resources will be in English or subtitled in English.
Who will you learn with?
Professor at Grenoble Ecole de Management and angel investor. Teaching and research in entrepreneurial finance. Advisor for incubators. Previously worked in corporate finance and in private equity.
Who developed the course?
Grenoble Ecole de Management
For the past 30 years, Grenoble Ecole de Management (GEM) has established itself in France and abroad as a leading business school through expertise in technology, innovation and entrepreneurship.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.