Develop the knowledge and skills you need to effectively build and accelerate your career in solar energy in hot desert climates.
Desert regions are attractive for solar energy, with much sunshine and many opportunities for utility-scale and residential applications. However, their harsh climate creates challenges for photovoltaic (PV) module performance, reliability, and energy forecasting.
This program focuses on solar resource assessment and PV solar cell and module design for hot, dusty climates. The program will teach you the essentials on solar radiation and will explore the challenges associated with air quality and meteorology in harsh climates. By using videos, demonstrations, dynamic learning activities, and real-world data you will learn about the practicalities of PV technology and how best to tailor PV cells and modules for the conditions of the desert.
We recommend that you complete the courses in the suggested order. However, you may enroll in either course based on your experience and interest.
The knowledge gained in this Professional Certificate program will help solar engineers, investors, and energy policymakers to understand and mitigate the challenges associated with sitting, deploying and operating PV in hot desert climates.
- This program will support individuals, industry, and governments to explore the economic, political, environmental and social benefits of PV in hot desert climates.
- Develop skills and a toolkit of resources that allow participants to leverage the potential of PV in their context.
- Adopt effective strategies to reduce the cost of PV energy and mitigate the effects of harsh desert conditions.
What You'll Learn
- Components of solar radiation, solar cells, and standard solar spectrum characteristics.
- Monitoring of air quality, meteorology, and challenges in harsh climates.
- The energy yield of PV modules and how to predict it under specific environmental conditions.
- PV module reliability, soiling, and mitigation strategies.
- Use of techno-economic models of PV technology diffusion to measure economic impact.
Learn more about Professional Certificate Programs
Created by leading companies and top universities, Professional Certificate programs are a series of in-demand courses designed to develop the critical skills needed for today’s top jobs.
Courses in this Program
- Solar Resource Assessment in Desert Climates
- Using Photovoltaic (PV) Technology in Desert Climates
- Average Length: 7-8 weeks per course
- Effort: 1-2 hours per week, per course
- Number Of Courses: 2 Courses in Program
- Subject: Energy & Earth Sciences, Engineering, Environmental Studies
- Institution: Hamad Bin Khalifa University
- Languages: English
- Video Transcripts: English
- Price (USD): $99 per course
About the School
Founded by Harvard University and MIT in 2012, edX is an online learning destination and MOOC provider, offering high-quality courses from the world’s best universities and institutions to learners ev ... Read More