Learn how to program and write code in Java in an easy and interactive way to enter the fascinating world of computer science.
Programming knowledge is not only useful for programming today’s devices such as computers and smartphones, but it also opens doors to the valuable skill of computational thinking, i.e. the application of computing techniques to every-day processes.
In this professional certificate program, you will learn how to write code in Java, understand the basics of OOP and how to use software engineering techniques.
The program will begin with introducing fundamental programming concepts, such as functional abstraction, OOP paradigm, and APIs. Then, we will focus on how to write “good” programs, where “good” is to be understood from several perspectives: correctness, efficiency, software engineering techniques, and ethics. Lastly, you will learn about fundamental data structures, such as sequences and algorithms on them, such as searching and sorting.
- Programming-related skills are among the most demanded by the labor market. (source: LinkedIn Top Skills that can get you Hired 2017)
- Java is in the top three of most popular programming languages. (source: Stack Overflow Developer Survey Results 2017)
- Java developers are among the top-paying technologies in the US with $96,000 a year. (source: Stack Overflow Developer Survey Results 2017)
What You'll Learn
- Develop simple programs in Java making use of conditionals, loops, and recursion.
- Understand the basic mechanisms of the OOP paradigm, as well as use the API of some of the most common Java classes.
- Detect and correct common programming errors at compile-time and runtime.
- Compare the efficiency of programs in terms of resources used.
- Model simple programs using basic software engineering techniques.
- Develop and use basic data structures including lists, stacks, queues, and trees.
- Develop and use linear and non-linear data structures and implement algorithms for efficient searching and sorting of data.
Learn more about Professional Certificate Programs
Created by leading companies and top universities, Professional Certificate programs are a series of in-demand courses designed to develop the critical skills needed for today’s top jobs.
Courses in this Program
- Introduction to Java Programming: Starting to code in Java
- Introduction to Java Programming: Writing Good Code
- Introduction to Java Programming: Fundamental Data Structures and Algorithms
- Average Length: 5 weeks per course
- Effort: 5-10 hours per week, per course
- Number Of Courses: 3 Courses in Program
- Subject: Computer Science
- Institution: Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
- Languages: English
- Video Transcripts: English
- Price (USD): Originally $297 USD, now $267.30 USD for the entire program. You save $29.70 USD.
About the School
Founded by Harvard University and MIT in 2012, edX is an online learning destination and MOOC provider, offering high-quality courses from the world’s best universities and institutions to learners ev ... Read More