Understand FinTech (financial technology), including cryptocurrencies, Blockchain, AI and Big Data, and how it is transforming the world of finance.
Finance and technology have a very long history of intertwined evolution, from the earliest coins to today’s cryptocurrencies. However, in the past decade, the speed of change combined with an ever-increasing range of new entrants – from startups to tech firms, from global markets to emerging markets – are transforming the world of finance at an unprecedented pace. This can be seen most clearly in the context of large emerging markets including China and India.
In this interdisciplinary Professional Certificate program in FinTech, you will learn about the world of FinTech and the opportunities and challenges it is bringing around the world. The Professional Certificate program will give you the tools to understand the interaction of finance and technology across the financial system as well as insight into the major technologies involved and the emerging business models and players in the industry.
This program is designed for those working in finance, technology, regulation or FinTech, those studying related subjects, or those just interested in learning more about one of the most exciting processes underway today. Each course brings together leading experts in FinTech from a range of backgrounds, including professors, market professionals, and entrepreneurs. Designed by leading academics from a range of disciplines with input from industry leaders including among others SuperCharger, the Centre for Finance, Technology and Entrepreneurship, Microsoft, PwC and the Asia Capital Markets Institute, each course will provide the tools necessary to transform one’s own future in FinTech. Over each week of each course, you will gain a greater understanding of the key trends in finance, technology, and regulation, to better prepare for not only the opportunities but also the risks and challenges, including to traditional financial institutions and business models and those working in them.
The University of Hong Kong is one of the world’s leading universities, with a global reputation in the areas of finance, law, and technology. FinTech is one of HKU’s identified areas of strategic interdisciplinary research and teaching, and HKU offers undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in FinTech and a range of related subjects.
- Application of technology is not only transforming finance but also the employment needs of the industry, increasing the need for a multidisciplinary understanding of technology, finance, and regulation.
- 84% of insurers will increase FinTech partnerships over the next 3-5 years. (Source: PwC)
- 77% of firms expect to adopt blockchain as part of an in the production system or process by 2020. (Source: PwC)
- Automation in finance is dramatically changing the needs of financial industry participants, necessitating re-skilling across large scopes of the employment landscape.
What You'll Learn
- What FinTech is and how it is transforming the world of finance around the world.
- Understand the major technologies involved in FinTech and the major players in the market, including startups, TechFins, traditional financial institutions, and regulators.
- Learn about blockchain, its design, potential uses, and limitations.
- The opportunities of FinTech but also the risks and challenges of the technological transformation of finance.
- Understand not only the current landscape but also develop the tools to understand future trends and developments.
Learn more about Professional Certificate Programs
Created by leading companies and top universities, Professional Certificate programs are a series of in-demand courses designed to develop the critical skills needed for today’s top jobs.
Courses in this Program
- Introduction to FinTech
- FinTech Ethics and Risks
- Blockchain and FinTech: Basics, Applications, and Limitations
- Average Length: 6 weeks per course
- Effort: 1-5 hours per week, per course
- Number Of Courses: 3 Courses in Program
- Subject: Economics & Finance
- Institution: University of Hong Kong
- Languages: English
- Video Transcripts: English
- Price (USD): Originally $397 USD, now $357.40 USD for the entire program. You save $39.60 USD.
About the School
Founded by Harvard University and MIT in 2012, edX is an online learning destination and MOOC provider, offering high-quality courses from the world’s best universities and institutions to learners ev ... Read More