You will learn the Ruby programming language and Ruby on Rails mvc web application framework.
This program will introduce Agile, which used by 60-80% of all programming teams, and by the majority of programming teams distributed across the globe. You will learn Agile through a "learn by doing" approach in which you use the same tools and techniques as professionals, such as test-driven development (TDD), behavior-driven design, continuous integration, and continuous deployment onto the public cloud.
- Average Length: 4-9 weeks per course
- Effort: 12-13 hours per week, per course
- Number Of Courses: 2 Courses in Program
- Subject: Computer Science
- Institution: Berkeley
- Language: English
- Video Transcripts: English
- Price (USD): $49-300 per course
- The median salary for full-stack web developers is $105,000 in the US, and the median salary for Ruby developers is $95,000. (StackOverflow developer survey results from 2016)
- Cloud and distributed computing is #1 Top Skill (now 2 years running) according to LinkedIn's Global Top Skills of 2016. (LinkedIn)
- The program teaches Agile in the context of developing Web-based services. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects about 27% employment growth for web developers by 2024.
What You'll Learn
- How to apply fundamental Ruby on Rails programming techniques to the design, development, testing, and public cloud deployment of a Software as a Service (SaaS) application.
- How modern programming language features in Ruby on Rails can improve productivity and code maintainability through techniques like Behavior Driven Design and Test-Driven Development.
- How to practice deployment of apps to real users, including how to monitor performance, identify and fix common performance problems, and avoid compromising customer data.
- How to apply Agile techniques to enhance and refactor legacy code to become a true Ruby on Rails developer.
- How to create more sophisticated apps by adding relationships between models within the Ruby on Rails framework.
Courses in the Professional Certificate Program
- Agile Development Using Ruby on Rails - Basics
- Agile Development Using Ruby on Rails - Advanced
About the School
Founded by Harvard University and MIT in 2012, edX is an online learning destination and MOOC provider, offering high-quality courses from the world’s best universities and institutions to learners ev ... Read More