Throughout the second course of the master's degree, the student may benefit from a non-curricular internship agreement with companies or institutions in the field of GIS, both at the state and international level.
Who is it for?
- University and professional graduates of any discipline or area related to the management of the territory, urban planning and the environment that require training in the treatment of geospatial information and GIS tools.
- People interested in acquiring a solid theoretical and practical base on GIS and who want to work with the main software currently required by the market.
- All those people with concerns related to the management of geographic information and who need to know the possibilities of GIS to make the most of these tools.
You can use any operating system. However, some modules of the Master require a Windows 7 or higher operating system, so in case of using Linux or MacOS it will be necessary to have a virtual machine.
Computer equipment with minimum 8GB of RAM
- Specialty Geospatial Analysis:
No prior knowledge.
- Specialization in Geoinformatics and GIS Programming:
Geographic information is a strategic element in today's society. The incorporation of geographic information systems (GIS) in companies and institutions is increasing, as is the demand for qualified professionals to manage geoinformation projects. In this context, the UNIGIS program offers a professional master's degree in GIS with the objective of improving skills and acquiring new skills related to the treatment, analysis and management of geospatial information, and adapting them to the needs of the world of work.
Currently the labor market demands profiles of very specific GIS professionals. It is in this sense that the UNIGIS program offers two professional itineraries defined according to the interests or needs of the student.
UNIGIS Girona belongs to the UNIGIS International Association, the largest international network of universities that offers an online training program in geographic information systems (GIS) in several countries.
The Geographic Information Systems and Remote Sensing Service --IGTE - is responsible for UNIGIS Girona, a reference in GIS training throughout its twenty editions. It belongs to the UNIGIS International Association, a network of universities that make up the largest distance training program in GIS.
The general educational competences that, at the end of the master's degree, the student acquires are:
- Master the fundamentals, concepts and tools of GIS in its application in multiple fields.
- Being able to apply the processes of identification and acquisition of geospatial data and their visualization techniques.
- Know how to interpret and identify the different models and structures of spatial data and have the ability to create them from scratch.
- Acquire organizational, design and integral management skills of GIS projects.
- Being able to design, create and manage geospatial databases.
- Incorporate a broad and interrelated vision of geospatial problems or challenges and ability to solve them.
According to the chosen specialization the student will acquire the following competences:
GIS geoinformatics and programming itinerary:
- Being able to design the architecture of a distributed GIS for deployment.
- Know and have the ability to execute the processes required by the implementation of web mapping services.
- Acquire the skills required to develop a Web Map application.
- Know how to apply the necessary Python tools to be able to program functionalities and extensions for QGIS related to basic geoprocesses of spatial analysis.
Geospatial analysis itinerary:
- Know the main geoprocesses for raster and vector analysis and apply them in real cases.
- Being able to analyze networks and surfaces.
- Acquire the necessary skills to know how to process, analyze and interpret satellite images.
- Know how to analyze and manage territorial resources with a GIS.
- Know the processes and procedures required by the multicriteria analysis and know how to carry them out.
Geographical information technologies (GIS) in general and geographic information systems (GIS) in particular find fields of application within a wide range of disciplines and fields of study. There are innumerable companies and organizations, both public and private, that use GIS, either corporately to manage their territorial data, such as a natural park or a town hall, as a support tool in making Decisions to solve specific problems, such as an environmental impact study or an emergency plan.
Among the professional outings of GIS, the following can be mentioned:
- Local administrations: Town halls, councils, councils, county councils, etc.
- Service companies: water, electrical, telecommunications, gas
- Environmental consulting
- Town planning
- Natural spaces management
- Marketing companies
- Tourist management
- Real estate agencies
- Public transport
- Transportation Fleet Management
- Public Works
- Precision farming
- Emergency management: firefighters, health, etc.
- Fire management
The training offered from UNIGIS is oriented to the professional world, so the specialization courses have an eminently practical nature. From dynamic learning components (materials, practical exercises, tutorials, webinars, forums, etc.) the student acquires the competencies. All this from an e-learning platform and constant guidance and interaction with the tutor and a support team.
Studying at UNIGIS also connects the student with an important community (also internationally) and provides advantages to continue developing in the field of geographic information technologies.