Learn how to implement sustainability best practices to create and host a successful, sustainable major sport event.
There are over 50 major sport events taking place every year across the world. While these events impact on natural resources represent significant project expenditure and impact on workers across industries, they also pose great benefits and can create a legacy for the host city, country or region.
The Sustainability & Major Sport Events professional certificate program looks at the key sustainability factors to consider how a major sport event can be leveraged to build a lasting legacy that improves efficiency, promotes conservation of resources and adds significant value to the host community.
The five pillars of sustainability; human, social, economic, governance and environmental, are explored in this program with a focus on core principles and real-world examples presented to further embed an understanding of sustainability within this context.
During the first course, you will learn about each of the sustainability pillars and the importance of how they relate to a major sport event. The second course provides you with practical steps and tools to plan and host a major sport event that is sustainable, with a lasting legacy.
We recommend that you complete the courses in order, as the learning journey takes you from principles towards implementation. However, you may enroll in either course based on your level of experience and interest.
- Articulate the concept of sustainability in a major sport event context and define the pillars of sustainability.
- Explore the principles of human, social, economic, governance and environmental sustainability.
- Develop a strategy and action plan for a sustainable major sport event.
- Develop an effective communications campaign for a sustainable major sport event.
- Measure the long-term impact of the event.
Real Career Impact
"I recommend the Sustainability & Major Sport Events courses for anyone involved in delivering a major sports event. Sustainability is a core success factor for any major event, and its implementation must be driven by individuals across a wide range of functions and organisations. Inspired by the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ Sustainability Strategy, these courses provide an excellent introduction to the principles and implementation of sustainability within a major sports event, drawing heavily upon the experience and lessons learned of sustainability professionals working on the FIFA World Cup and other events."— Federico Addiechi , Head of Sustainability & Diversity, FIFA
"We are proud to partner with Hamad Bin Khalifa University on this certificate programme to provide professionals worldwide with the knowledge and skills needed to create and host sustainable sports events. This programme leverages the expertise the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy has developed by leading the planning and preparations for hosting the first FIFA World Cup™ in the Arab world. It will also benefit anyone working in the sports and events industry with a focus on sustainability. If this is an area in which you are already working or you are eager to enter, I encourage you to take this professional certificate to build your capacity and understanding, both to accelerate your personal development and to benefit sports fans all over the world."— H.E. Hassan Al Thawadi , Secretary General, Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy
"Hosting successful large-scale events, whether in sports, business or entertainment, is a key driver of tourism growth, and QNTC is focused intently on developing the human capital that can support the continued and sustainable growth of our events industry. We would like to thank Hamad bin Khalifa University, FIFA, and the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy for their development of these unique, excellent and accessible courses which will serve to grow a new generation of highly-qualified event management professionals with a unique vision for the future of the industry they work in. Whether you are based in Qatar or abroad, I encourage you to pursue this esteemed professional certificate and look forward to the program’s positive contribution coming to life in the form of an innovative, sustainable and robust sports tourism and events industry."— Hassan Al-Ibrahim , Assistant Secretary General, Qatar National Tourism Council
What You'll Learn:
- The five pillars of sustainability and sustainability lifecycle.
- Key human, social, economic, governance and environmental considerations when planning a sustainable major sport event.
- Sustainable approaches to infrastructure and air, water and waste management.
- Sustainable major sport event strategies and action plans.
- Long-term impact and legacy of sustainable major sport events.
- Average Length: 8 weeks per course
- Number Of Courses: 2 Courses in Program
- Subject: Environmental Studies, Humanities, Business & Management
- Institution: Hamad Bin Khalifa University
- Language: English
- Video Transcripts: English
- Price (USD): Originally $198 USD, now $178.20 USD for the entire program. You save $19.80 USD.
About the School
Founded by Harvard University and MIT in 2012, edX is an online learning destination and MOOC provider, offering high-quality courses from the world’s best universities and institutions to learners ev ... Read More