Whether it’s finding a good spot for lunch, posting a photo of that lunch on Instagram, or just getting some work done while on the go, mobile apps have become deeply ingrained in how we live, work, and play. Smartphones have become ubiquitous and the potential to make a dramatic impact on the everyday lives of millions of people has never been greater — but where do you start? How do you go from being a user to a skilled creator? What do you need to know and how do you learn it all?
The CS50 courses at Harvard have taught the art of programming to computer science majors and non-majors alike, to those with serious coding chops and those with no prior computer programming experience. Led by Professor David J. Malan, this program teaches learners how to think algorithmically and solve problems efficiently. The core Introduction to Computer Science course will give you a broad and robust understanding of the fundamentals of programming and computer systems. Then you’ll build on those fundamentals to learn about mobile app development using the React Native Framework.
What you will learn
- A broad and robust understanding of computer science and programming.
- Concepts like abstraction, algorithms, data structures, encapsulation, resource management, security, software engineering, and web development.
- How to master components, props, state, style, views, user input, components, and debugging.
- How to implement an app entirely of your own design.
- Employment of software developers is projected to grow 24% from 2016 to 2026, much faster than the average for all occupations. (source: Occupational Outlook Handbook)
- The median pay for software developers in the U.S. in 2018 was $105,590 per year. (source: Occupational Outlook Handbook)
- The mobile app market is expected to grow by 270% from 2015 to 2020. (Source: VentureBeat)
- Expert instruction: 2 skill-building courses
- Self-paced: Progress at your own speed
- 2-4 months: 178 - 317 hours of effort
- For the full program experience: £134 (originally £149)
About the School
Founded by Harvard University and MIT in 2012, edX is an online learning destination and MOOC provider, offering high-quality courses from the world’s best universities and institutions to learners ev ... Read More