Learn to program in Java in an easy and interactive way!
This is an introductory program to learn Java programming. Emphasis is placed on immediate feedback and a fun experience with Java programming. Java programming knowledge is not only useful for programming current devices, such as computers and smartphones. It also opens the door to computational thinking, that is, the application of computer techniques to everyday processes.
The program is divided into three parts:
- Part 1 "How to start programming" introduces programming using familiar concepts, such as calculators and games. Throughout the five weeks important concepts are introduced progressively in this programming language such as functional abstraction, the paradigm of object-oriented programming (OOP) and application programming interfaces (APIs). Examples and case studies are provided so that students can implement simple programs on their own or in collaboration with their peers.
- Part 2 "How to write good code" takes over from the first part, and aims to teach how to write good code in Java, understanding as "good" that which is correct and efficient. The basic principles of software engineering will be introduced to facilitate the reuse of the code. In the last part of this course of informatics will also address ethical issues and intellectual property of our programs. Practical examples and case studies will be provided so that students can implement simple but increasingly complex programs in Java.
- Part 3 "Data Structures and Programming Algorithms" deals with the fundamental data structures, such as lists, stacks, queues and trees, on which algorithms will be presented to insert, eliminate, search and sort information in an efficient way.
- The skills related to programming are among the most demanded by the labor market (source: LinkedIn Top Skills that can get you Hired 2017)
- Java is among the three most popular programming languages (source: Stack Overflow Developer Survey Results 2017)
- Java developers are among the highest paid technology jobs in the US UU with $ 96,000 per year (source: Stack Overflow Developer Survey Results 2017)
What you will learn
- Knowledge needed to start programming in Java.
- Basic knowledge about algorithms and Java programming, including the use of variables, methods, conditionals, loops and recursion.
- Basic mechanisms of the object orientation paradigm (OOP), as well as the use of the API of some of the most common Java classes.
- Detection and correction of common programming errors at compile and run time.
- Comparison of the efficiency of the programs in terms of resources used.
- Development and use of linear and non-linear data structures and implementation of algorithms for efficient search and ordering of data.
- Introduction to Java programming: starting to program
- Introduction to Java programming: writing good code
- Introduction to Java programming: data structures and algorithms
- Average duration: 4 months.
- Effort: 6-8 hours per week.
- Number of courses: 3 courses in the program
- Topic: Computer Science
- Institution: Carlos III University of Madrid
- Spanish Language
- Video transcriptions: Spanish
- Price (USD): Originally $ 297 USD, now $ 267.30 USD for the entire program. You save $ 29.70 USD.
About the School
Founded by Harvard University and MIT in 2012, edX is an online learning destination and MOOC provider, offering high-quality courses from the world’s best universities and institutions to learners ev ... Read More