Introduce yourself to the PGCE programme and learn what the rewarding life of a teacher looks like.
Get a headstart in the world of teaching with this introductory course
The PGCE is a postgraduate certificate in education that proves your credentials as a teacher in England, and can also allow you to teach abroad.
As a potentially important qualification to gain, preparing yourself to study for it is important. On this course, you’ll examine the academic literature around what teaching and learning in schools look like.
Based on the University of Warwick’s successful PGCE programme, you’ll learn observational teaching skills – along with key legal knowledge – that will stand you in great stead for the PGCE to come.
What topics will you cover?
- The legal framework around teaching.
- What teaching and learning looks like.
- Lesson observation skills.
- Academic literature to prepare you for teaching.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Investigate what might be involved in completing a postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE) programme.
- Reflect upon your own motivations for wanting to become a teacher.
- Develop an initial understanding of the centrality of safeguarding to the role of the teacher and some key aspects of safeguarding.
- Investigate the importance of reflective practice for teachers.
- Explore the importance of good mental health and wellbeing for teachers.
- Identify the importance of subject knowledge for teachers and begin to develop your own subject knowledge in areas of need.
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone who has accepted a place on an English PGCE course or is preparing for a teaching career in higher or further education.
Who will you learn with?
I am the Senior Academic Technologist in the Centre for Teacher Education at Warwick University.
I am an Associate Professor at the University of Warwick, working with secondary Computer Science trainees
Dr Deborah Roberts
I am a Senior Teaching Fellow at the University of Warwick working with primary PGCE and MA students.
Who developed the course?
The University of Warwick
The University of Warwick is forward-looking, entrepreneurial and globally connected. With new ways of thinking and achieving it stands out from its competitors as an inspiring place to study.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.