Prepare for a career in teaching by learning the qualities of a good teacher and reflecting on your own experiences of education.
Discover the world of teaching and learn how to be a good teacher
A great teacher can totally transform a subject and inspire a classroom of students to succeed. But, learning the most effective teaching strategies doesn’t happen overnight.
This course is an ideal starting point before beginning a formal teacher training course. It will give you a sense of the most important teaching skills and help you explore your own preconceptions of teaching.
On the course, you’ll learn about all the different qualities that make a great teacher and what knowledge and teaching skills you might need when you enter the classroom.
What topics will you cover?
- What makes a good teacher and can teaching be ‘measured’?
- How teachers manage behaviour in classrooms.
- Use their own experiences and further research to gain an understanding of different school structures.
- Develop an action plan to take the first steps into a career in teaching.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Identify the attributes and skills of good teachers.
- Reflect on how teaching can be 'measured'.
- Explore how teachers manage classrooms.
- Discuss different approaches to managing behaviour in classrooms.
- Compare school structures and different types of schools.
- Explore how your own experience of education has influenced your views of schools.
- Design an action plan to move into a career in teaching.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone who is interested in teaching or who wants to become a teacher in the future.
It’s suitable for learners of any age and from anywhere in the world, as it takes a global perspective on teaching.
Who will you learn with?
I'm a Senior Lecturer in Education and have been teaching more years than I care to remember!
I'm a Senior Lecturer in Education at Manchester Metropolitan University, a Governor at Calderdale College, and have worked in many different schools around the UK.
I'm a Senior Lecturer in Education at Manchester Met. I love working with students of all ages and watching them learn new things. No day is the same and you never know what is going to happen next!
Who developed the course?
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester Met University has a driving ambition to discover and disseminate knowledge and make higher education as accessible and beneficial to all those with the passion and ability to succeed.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.