University of Nicosia
- Duration of study (years): 1.5 year
- Title of Study: Educational Sciences: Theory, Practice and Assessment of Teaching (MEd, 3 semesters)
- Level of Title of Study: Postgraduate (2nd Cycle of Studies)
- Language of instruction: Greek
- Study Mode: Remote
- Minimum Credits: 30
- Minimum European Credit Units (ECTS): 90
The purpose of the program is twofold. On the one hand, help the student to acquire deep knowledge in the field of specialization through (a) the monitoring of educational courses in an advanced level, (b) study the relevant literature, and (c) interaction with Faculty and other students. On the other, the program aims at fostering research skills through (a) the monitoring of specific quantitative and qualitative research courses, (b) small scale investigations in the various courses and / or drafting Master Thesis, and (c) participation in seminars / conferences research content. In general, the overall aim of the program is to help the student to become an independent thinker and scientist educator.
- To promote and support quality teaching through the analysis of sociological, philosophical and psychological assumptions regarding the organization, conduct and evaluation of teaching.
- To contribute to the modernization of teaching, guiding and exercising advisory role both in the development programs at school level and in terms of the organization, conduct and evaluation of teaching.
- Deepen the research findings as well as methodological issues relating to the organization and conduct of teaching.
- To utilize the latest technology for teaching and learning purposes.
- Deepen issues expertise, manufacturing achievements essays, analysis and documentation of learning outcomes and monitoring the academic progress of students.
- Apply a variety of techniques for systematic observation and evaluation of teaching.
- Deepen knowledge on issues, related to the pedagogical guidance and staff development.
- Exercise role of "catalyst" to quality teaching, school culture and school vision and development of the school unit as a whole.
- To critically examine educational research results and their implications in the school unit daily work and organize their own research effort.
Graduates of the program have the following options:
- Seek administrative position at school level (e.g. Manager, Assistant Manager) and / or the Ministry of Education and Culture (eg Inspector).
- Work as educators at the Pedagogical Institute.
- To occupy an academic position in a higher education institution.
Access to Further Studies
Graduates of the program can pursue doctoral studies.
- Deepen in the basic bibliography of the Direction.
- Understand the basic concepts, principles and models of the Direction that they chose and transfer this knowledge into the school context.
- To examine critically the results of research in the direction and their implications for the problems faced by the school unit and the educational system.
- Identify problems at school and system level and plan research to address them.
- To analyze critical educational problems by examining their sociological, psychological and philosophical dimensions and to plan action to address them.
- Take leadership roles related to the Direction to improve existing practices or introduce new processes.
- To contribute to the modernization of practices applied to the direction, e.g. School administration, quality teaching, inclusive education.
- Apply skills acquired to deal with everyday problems, eg. Student / system / program evaluation, planning and decision making, communication with internal and external audiences, guidance, training and development.
- Make use of human capital when introducing innovations and introducing new practices and processes.
- To act as agents of change and innovation and to support improvement efforts.
See 27 more programs offered by University of Nicosia »
This course is