Explore the key methods, strategies and principles of human resource management and develop your own management style.
Discover how to manage people effectively and become a confident line manager
Line managers play a vital role in organisations, from the day-to-day management of people to the implementation of company policy.
However, the journey to becoming a line manager and learning how to manage people can be challenging and new managers are often left feeling overwhelmed.
On this CIPD course, you’ll learn about best practice processes in recruitment and induction, and identify market trends that will impact human resource management at your organisation.
You'll also discover how to develop teams and individuals, improve your people management skills, and manage workplace performance.
What topics will you cover?
- Overview of approaches to management.
- Introduction to the labour market and recruitment processes.
- Learning and development for individuals and teams.
- Introduction to performance management and appraisals.
- Managing absence.
- Overview of well-being at work.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Explore elements of managing absence and supporting employees returning to work.
- Assess the current labour market conditions and trends for your organisation.
- Explore good practice in both recruitment and induction.
- Describe effective ways of developing both teams and individuals.
- Explore approaches to managing good workplace performance.
- Describe ways to address shortfalls in performance.
- Discuss the need to maintain a healthy workforce.
- Reflect on your own management style.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for new and aspiring line managers. It may also be of interest to small and medium-sized organisations that do not have the support of an HR function.
This course has been developed by the CIPD with the financial support of JPMorgan Chase Foundation.
Who will you learn with?
I am a specialist in developing leadership and management skills using a blended approach to learning. I have over 20 years of corporate experience and over 16 years of running a small business.
I am Learning Community and Content Curator for CIPD learning. My focus is on the core areas of CIPD's Profession Map and Management Development.
As Head of Learning & Development Content at the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, I oversee programmes, qualifications and resources for L&D and management (Twitter @AndyLancasterUK).
Who developed the course?
CIPD - Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
The CIPD is the professional body for HR and people development. The not-for-proﬁt organisation offers professional training and accreditation for those working in HR and learning and development.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
About the School
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.