PG Dip Project Management (Oil and Gas)
Managing projects effectively is an essential skill within the fast-changing world of oil and gas. This competitive industry demands efficient use of all resources and tools in order to supply cost-effective and high-quality energy services, and an in-depth understanding of the challenges facing the future of energy supply is critical to succeeding long-term.
This short postgraduate course introduces key project management concepts to those currently working in the oil and gas sector while developing your professional skills in communication, time management, leadership and teamwork.
Alongside your study of essential project management skills, you will also delve into topics such as:
- the social, political and environmental challenges present within different oil and gas geographic markets,
- the socioeconomic impacts of disasters and crises,
- the important strategic challenge of matching supply to demand for energy,
- how to analyse economic markets through the use of analytical tools,
- the energy industry of tomorrow, including renewable sources of energy and contentious topics such as fracking.
Once you have completed your course, you have the opportunity to advance onto a full MSc Project Management (Oil and Gas). Or if you are looking for a more general business course with a focus on the oil and gas industry, take a look at our PG Dip Business and Management (Oil and Gas).
Why we’re great
- Designed specifically for professionals within the oil and gas industry who wish to improve their managerial skills.
- Global recognition and validation by the University of Essex rated 29th in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019.
- No need to take a break – complete this course 100% online and part-time around your existing work.
The PG Dip Project Management (Oil and Gas) degree is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 120 credits at Level 7.
Level 7 modules:
- Management: Principle and Practices (20 credits)
- Management of Projects (20 credits)
- Financial Decision Making (20 credits)
- Project Management Techniques (20 credits)
- Oil & Gas Management (20 credits)*
- The Future of Oil & Gas (10 credits)
- Business Strategy (10 credits)
* These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
Learning and assessments
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
Our courses are delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you will have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- multimedia lecturecasts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments,
- discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students,
- live Q&A sessions with your tutors,
- a comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals,
- support from academic staff and your personal Student Adviser.
To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, we cap our class sizes at 20 students.
Rather than fretting about exams, you will be assessed exclusively through assignments. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, completing reflective journal entries, or by submitting longer written pieces.
We are committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback through the following ways:
- Our assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent.
- You will always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme.
- You will be able to view your marks clearly in your grade book whenever you log onto the learning platform.
- There is a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work.
- You will have regular contact with your Student Adviser, with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise.
Our PG Dip Project Management (Oil and Gas) course has an indicative study duration of 16 months which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen, and module availability.
It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
Our academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
All of our courses have regular start dates throughout the year.
On successful completion of your degree, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex, Colchester Campus.
This specialist Masters degree will enable you to accelerate your career within the oil and gas industry, making the move from mid-management roles to senior management and even C-suite roles. Project management skills are also directly transferable to a wide range of industries, and job candidates who demonstrate their understanding of project management techniques and practices are often sought out for high-level roles within management consultancy, finance, marketing and sales.
We know that many people from non-traditional backgrounds would succeed in our courses! That’s why we offer two different entry routes, taking into account your prior work experience and relevant qualifications. You will also need to meet our English Language Requirements.
Additionally, you will need to pass your first assignment set within the first three weeks of the course in order to continue with your studies.
Academic Entry Route
In order to satisfy the Academic Entry Route requirements for our PG Dip Project Management (Oil and Gas), you must have the following qualifications as a minimum:
- an undergraduate degree from an approved institution, equivalent to a UK Honours degree, or a relevant professional qualification
Work Experience Entry Route
In order to satisfy the Work Experience Entry Route requirements for our PG Dip Project Management (Oil and Gas), you must meet the following criteria:
- at least five years’ management level work experience
English Language Requirements
As our courses are delivered in English, high proficiency with English is required. If English is not your first language, your English ability should be equivalent to an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5. Don’t worry if you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification – we offer a free online English test to assess your proficiency.