PG Dip Business and Management (Business Analytics)
In a business world increasingly defined and dependent on data, having a solid understanding of the challenges and opportunities within business analytics is a great way to set yourself apart from others in your industry and to improve your ability to drive effective change within your company.
Rather than being a mathematical or coding course, this short postgraduate course* is designed for professionals who want to understand the uses of data within marketing, sales, customer service, market development, finance and much more. It will increase your confidence in working with different types of data as well as give you a grounding in general management techniques.
This focused course explores many of the key areas of business analytics and business management, including:
- the range of statistical methodology available for analysing and solving business problems from a quantitative perspective,
- the theory underpinning data and knowledge management,
- the craft of visualisation and when what and how to think about visualisation decisions,
- the need for rigour, precision and ethical concern when collecting, organising and using data.
Once you have completed your course, you have the opportunity to advance onto a full degree in business analytics.
*The start date and details of this course are still subject to University approval. In the event that approval is not granted by your course start date, an alternative date will be offered or a full refund is given. If we need to make changes to this programme as part of the University of Essex validation process, we will communicate these to you at the earliest possible date.
Why we’re great
- Gain a highly recognised postgraduate qualification in just 16 months.
- Global recognition and validation by the University of Essex rated 29th in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019.
- No need to take a break – complete this course 100% online and part-time around your existing work.
The PG Dip Business and Management (Business Analytics) degree is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 120 credits at Level 7.
Level 7 modules:
- Management: Principle and Practices (20 credits)
- Data Management, Modelling and Design (20 credits)
- Introduction to Statistical Analysis (20 credits)
- Data Analytics for Managers (10 credits)
- Data Visualisation and Storytelling (10 credits)
- Financial Decision Making (20 credits)
- Project Management (10 credits)
- Business Strategy (10 credits)
* These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
Learning and assessments
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
Our courses are delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you will have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- multimedia lecture casts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments,
- discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students,
- live Q&A sessions with your tutors,
- a comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals,
- support from academic staff and your personal Student Adviser.
To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, we cap our class sizes at 20 students.
Rather than fretting about exams, you will be assessed exclusively through assignments. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, completing reflective journal entries, or by submitting longer written pieces.
We are committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback through the following ways:
- Our assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent.
- You will always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme.
- You will be able to view your marks clearly in your grade book whenever you log onto the learning platform.
- There is a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work.
- You will have regular contact with your Student Adviser, with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise.
Our PG Dip Business and Management (Business Analytics) course has an indicative study duration of 16 months which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen, and module availability.
It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
Our academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
All of our courses have regular start dates throughout the year.
On successful completion of your degree, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex, Colchester Campus.
This degree is ideal for anyone looking to bring a solid grounding in data analysis to their future career, whether within their capacity as a manager, business owner or C-level executive, or within a data specific role such as data officer, finance analyst, marketing analyst or more. With businesses increasingly relying on the data they gather to serve their customers better than their competitors do, the skills and knowledge gained will be invaluable to any growing business.
We know that many people from non-traditional backgrounds would succeed in our courses! That’s why we offer two different entry routes, taking into account your prior work experience and relevant qualifications. You will also need to meet our English Language Requirements.
Additionally, you will need to pass your first assignment set within the first three weeks of the course in order to continue with your studies.
Academic Entry Route
In order to satisfy the Academic Entry Route requirements for our PG Dip Business and Management (Business Analytics), you must have the following qualifications as a minimum:
- an undergraduate degree from an approved institution, equivalent to a UK Honours degree, or a relevant professional qualification
Work Experience Entry Route
In order to satisfy the Work Experience Entry Route requirements for our PG Dip Business and Management (Business Analytics), you must meet the following criteria:
- at least five years’ senior level work experience.
English Language Requirements
As our courses are delivered in English, high proficiency with English is required. If English is not your first language, your English ability should be equivalent to an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5. Don’t worry if you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification – we offer a free online English test to assess your proficiency.
About the School
Welcome to University of Essex Online. If you’re looking to improve your professional career our online distance learning degrees and postgraduate courses are some of the most cost-effective, convenie ... Read More