Organisations around the world have never been more at risk of cyber-attacks, due to the greater role that data and technology play across all operations. This short conversion course is intended for individuals interested in cybersecurity who don’t have the required academic background or work experience to find employment in this field.
Through this PG Cert Cyber Security* you will gain essential cybersecurity knowledge as well as explore the latest trends in this field. You will also develop an understanding of how to reduce vulnerabilities and promote defences within digital systems. Cybersecurity professionals are increasingly sought after so at the end of your studies, you will be able to unlock careers in a wide range of sectors. You will also be able to continue your studies and advance onto our full Master's programme.
* The start date and details of this course are still subject to the institution's approval. In the event that approval is not granted by your course start date, an alternative date will be offered or a full refund given. If we need to make changes to this programme as part of the University of Essex validation process, we will communicate these to you at the earliest possible date.
Methods of assessment
All assessments are delivered through our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). There is no requirement to go to external test centres. Instead, you will submit written assignments through the VLE; and for the few courses where exams are required, we use a virtual system which allows you to take academically rigorous exams from the comfort of your own home.
You are always aware of your current provisional grade which allows you to continually evaluate the success of your current study methods and identify areas to improve. We believe that this information helps you to make the most of your course. We achieve this by:
- assessing you throughout modules rather than waiting for the end of year exams
- showing your marks in your grade book which can be viewed whenever you log onto the VLE
- rapid turnaround on work assessed to ensure your grade book is always up to date
- ensuring you have regular contact with your Student Adviser
We also have a policy of ensuring that the work submitted by students is authentic – we use a well-established electronic monitoring system to check for plagiarism.
Given the increasing need for robust cybersecurity measures and the skills shortage in this area, this course is designed to make you an attractive candidate in this sector. You will be able to succeed in a range of roles such as Software Developer, Risk Analyst, Threat Management, Secure Systems Designer/Programmer or Information Systems Administrator.
We’re a 100% online education provider, so we use a state-of-the-art Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) to deliver our teaching, resources and assessments. Our system tracks and manages the learning process in real-time and provides you with immediate access to your learning materials. The VLE is accessible 24/7 and allows both students and tutors to actively take part in real-time conversations and view live lectures and seminars.
For our PG Cert Cyber Security, there’s no need to download different software packages – all programming languages are included within the tuition fee and all work is carried out on an online development environment.
We offer two flexible entry routes onto our PG Cert Cyber Security, which consider your academic and work-based experience:
1. Academic entry route
In order to satisfy the academic entry route requirement, you must have one of the following qualifications as a minimum:
- an undergraduate degree from an approved institution, equivalent to a UK Honours degree; or
- a relevant professional qualification
2. Work experience entry route
To apply for the work experience entry route, you must meet the following criteria:
- at least three years’ relevant work experience
English language requirement
If English is not your first language, you must have an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 or equivalent. If you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification, you will be required to pass a free online English test to assess your proficiency.
Fees and funding
Full tuition fee – £3,741 (2020/2021) *
The tuition fee includes all teaching materials and required reading, and there aren’t any hidden charges for assessments or resits.
- Designated postgraduate student loan in England for full Masters degrees only.
- Monthly payment plan available for those who are self-funding.
- 10% discount if you pay the full course fee upfront.
- A range of scholarships are available subject to applicants meeting certain criteria. **
Please note that you can only apply for a maximum of two discounts or scholarships.
* This tuition fee is net of any applicable sales tax payable by you in your country of residence. Where we are required to add sales tax at the local statutory rate, this will be added to the tuition fees shown and confirmed during the payment process.
** To find out whether you’re eligible for our scholarships contact University of Essex Online’s Admissions team.
About the School
Welcome to University of Essex Online. If you’re looking to improve your professional career our online distance learning degrees and postgraduate courses are some of the most cost-effective, convenie ... Read More